A Crisis of Confidence?

9 years 3 weeks ago #429789 by robin graves
Hello, I think I may be having some sort of crisis of confidence regarding getting photos right in camera and post processing. I have been trying to get my photos right but find myself still needing to process a bit. However, after processing I feel the pictures look "overdone" even with minimal adjustments. After looking at these photos so long, I don't know if this is a problem with my perception or if I'm just being overly doubtful. Does anybody have any tips or advice to help me out a bit?

I will add a before and after as well for reference...

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #429801 by effron
Actually I think there is a lot of room for more work in the processed copy. You seem to have shot it mid day, and sometimes there's little to be done with that kind of lighting. Try this shot near dawn or sundown...;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429808 by Joslyn
:agree:   I see you are located in Italy?  There are so many old ruins there.  Can't wait to see a dawn shot from you of this.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429813 by robin graves
Thank you for your reply Effron.

What more do you think it needs? After looking at them for so long I felt the processed ones had taken on an almost yellow and hdr look...

It was around that sort of time unfortunately and I would love to be able to photograph these ruins again at some point but getting there is difficult as they are not usually open to the public at those times of day and they are in a fairly remote spot. I suppose I should find out from the curators of the sites here if there is a way to be there for those early and late shots!

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429814 by Roger Lang
Morning time with this shot would be amazing.  Looks like you received good advise already  ;) 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: robin graves
9 years 3 weeks ago #429815 by robin graves
Hi Joslyn, thanks.

I am located in Mexico at the moment. It is an amazing country for photography absolutely filled with ruined cities in all kinds of settings, wildlife, ecology, it's brilliant!
Hopefully one day I will be able to get that shot for you to see but sadly I am now back in the north, about as far away as you can get from this site which is located near the border with Guatemala...

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429818 by effron
Take this a a nice documentation photograph. They can't all be award winners and you often have to take what is offered. Since its digital, give the sky some more work or even drop another in and practice matching it with the foreground. I'm glad you shared it, I'll bet its a great place to visit.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429821 by robin graves
Thanks again Effron, I will give that a go.

It really is and I would recommend it to anyone. It was taken at Kohunlich in Quintana Roo. There are lots of ancient sites in the area and I hope to return soon!

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429822 by KCook

the processed ones had taken on an almost yellow and hdr look..

I know that "HDR" feeling.  Too much DR compensation can lead to a "flat" look.  Simply dial this back until the subject starts to take on a more 3D form again.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 weeks ago #429853 by Joslyn

robin graves wrote: Hi Joslyn, thanks.

I am located in Mexico at the moment. It is an amazing country for photography absolutely filled with ruined cities in all kinds of settings, wildlife, ecology, it's brilliant!
Hopefully one day I will be able to get that shot for you to see but sadly I am now back in the north, about as far away as you can get from this site which is located near the border with Guatemala...

:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429860 by robin graves
Ok, thanks for the advise :)

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429932 by Happy Snapper

Geospiri wrote:

took the liberty to play with it ..killed highlights, shifted the histogram to correct zones then warmed it up a bit using camera raw in PS elements.. hope you don't mind, but it shows what can be done in a few minutes

I think this spot has so much potential.  Personally I would love to see more details in the rocks and formation and a less blown out sky.  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024