Do you shoot in B&W

9 years 2 weeks ago #430159 by stuartsbarbie
Do you shoot in black and white or do you change it in post production?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430166 by Hassner
I change in post. It gives me a colour master to keep. I then have the option to put any colour filter onto the image. Eg. red filter will darken the blue sky, green filter will lighten the grass and leaves...

It leaves me with a lot of choice afterwards.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: stuartsbarbie
9 years 2 weeks ago #430180 by effron
Do you shoot in B&W?....Never.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430188 by stuartsbarbie
Thank you for your reply.  I want to start doing some B&W but wasn't sure of the best way to go

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430231 by KCook
With RAW you can shoot with the camera set to B&W, still access the color version in post.  The B&W advantage here is that you get to see the B&W treatment when reviewing images during the shooting session.

For JPG only (not RAW + JPG) consider taking 2 shots, just set up one Custom mode for color and another one other for B&W.  If there isn't time for a 2nd shot, play safe and shoot color.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 2 weeks ago #430241 by TvPhotos
I just shoot in color with RAW files. That way if I want a B&W image later I have more control in post production. 

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
9 years 2 weeks ago #430322 by garyrhook
Technically, nobody shoots in B&W with digital camera. The camera captures in color, and you only get B&W via processing. Either by the camera (JPG) or in post via LR/PS/etc.

It's important to understand what you are doing, however, if your end goal is monochrome. Suggest you research Adams' zone system.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430385 by icepics
I'm a film photographer so I'm usually thinking about what I'll be photographing and if I want to use B&W film. I was doing some monochrome Polaroids this weekend, in blue and sepia, and some B&W, so I was thinking about how the scene would look in one color or B&W. With B&W being the absence of color I usually look for some good contrast or pattern etc. in the scene.

I haven't done too many B&W digital photos but took the original photos in color. I found I didn't like the results using conversion in Photoshop so instead I usually use Remove Color or grayscale.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430403 by Ian Stone
Same with me, I change it in post.  That way if I change my mind later, I still have color version. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430434 by Joe Peterson
:agree:  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430475 by ShadowWalker
Shoot: No

Convert in post: Yes

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430580 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: Technically, nobody shoots in B&W with digital camera. The camera captures in color, and you only get B&W via processing. Either by the camera (JPG) or in post via LR/PS/etc.

It's important to understand what you are doing, however, if your end goal is monochrome. Suggest you research Adams' zone system.

Not quite. Technically, nobody shoots in color. The processing engine turns the light captured into color.
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
9 years 2 weeks ago #430588 by Sawyer
Not in the camera, doesn't make sense.  In post yes.  Often. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430627 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Technically, nobody shoots in B&W with digital camera. The camera captures in color, and you only get B&W via processing. Either by the camera (JPG) or in post via LR/PS/etc.

Not quite. Technically, nobody shoots in color. The processing engine turns the light captured into color.

Well, yes, I understand that there are layers for each of the colors. But that's really more a data management issue then anything else. What comes out of the camera is in a "color" format.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430684 by Scott Klubeck

Sawyer wrote: Not in the camera, doesn't make sense.  In post yes.  Often. 

Same with me

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024