Have a logo or don't need a logo?

9 years 2 weeks ago #430529 by Lindsey
Hello,

What's your thoughts on needing a logo when you have your name signed on each photo in the lower right corner of images.  Is there much need of a logo then?  

I wasn't worrying much about it, till one photographer was telling me that having a logo makes your photos look more brand-able and professional.  :blink:   I don't see how that is so, which is why I'm posting this question today.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430559 by Ian Stone
I don't know about that.  Seems unless you are currently using a logo, this wouldn't be needed.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430565 by icepics
Depends on what you're doing with your photos. At least part of the purpose of a watermark (which can be your name or a logo) is to protect/identify your photos. Putting it in the corner is easy to crop off/remove so that's not really the best way to do it. I don't post much online but make my watermark so it will if nothing else be more difficult to remove (I think people would be more inclined to find an easy target).

I think if you want to do work in photography you need something recognizable that people know is you, whatever that may be. I just use a combination of my initials, I haven't had a logo designed, but I'm doing fine art photography these days so I don't feel I need one at this point. It might be worth doing if you want to use it to market yourself.

You could try searching something like watermarking photos and see what information you find.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430572 by Trisha.M
:agree: what icepics said 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430573 by ubookoo
If you ever need a logo created, go to fiverr.com . You can select from several designers and pay just $5.00 for a logo. I have used them several times.

9 years 2 weeks ago #430624 by Jeffster

ubookoo wrote: If you ever need a logo created, go to fiverr.com . You can select from several designers and pay just $5.00 for a logo. I have used them several times.

Have you had much success with that site?  A buddy of mine hired a designer from there last year and had a headache with the person he hired.  That's the only case I know of the site.  You can't beat the price if it works. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430626 by garyrhook
<snark>Yeah, be sure to have your $5 designer use comic sans or papyrus for the typeface, and include a camera icon (you're a photographer, right?)</snark>

Find a graphic designer that is competent and willing to trade services. Give them a shoot and images (a few hundred $$ worth) in exchange for some design work to arrive at a log you are happy with. You get practice, more portfolio shots, and a logo out of it. Win-win.

As for branding, yes, I think a logo is good to have. And you can always place your small, not too obtrusive watermark somewhere in the middle of your image. But the fact is:

A) a determined person can remove a watermark, or simply won't care.
2) If you don't want an image "shared" don't put it online.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430689 by Scott Klubeck
$5 for a logo? :rofl:   Good luck with that

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #431158 by Alan Nunez
IMHO you are are better off with no logo than a crap logo. A logo only helps your branding if you have a vision for your brand and carry it through everything you do. As for a $5 logo well I must admit that my wholesale design and photo editing company get jobs on Fivrr that then turn into huge clients. It is a little hit and miss as you will not always find people as highly skill as in our team AND we would not do a $5 logo.

9 years 1 week ago #431347 by Eric A
How do you have your brand set up?

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024