Ghost Ranch Calendar

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #444409 by Shadowfixer1
I was just informed that the image below has been selected to be the cover image for the 2016 Ghost Ranch Calendar. As the say "a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while." It's a neat place if you ever get the chance to go.

img\def
8 years 10 months ago #444430 by garyrhook
Sweet! Nice HDR work. :thumbsup:

Any chance you could share the story of how the image was found by them? And, as long as you're at it, how the image came to be?

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444436 by KenMan
Oh yeah, I love this shot.  As Gary asked, please post details and congrats! 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #444438 by Shadowfixer1
It's not really an HDR image. The image was adjusted in Lightroom with the majority of the work being the Highlight and Shadow control sliders and then finished off in Photoshop with selective dodging and burning. I also use Unsharp mask with settings of 20-40-3 to enhance micro contrast before final sharpening.

The Ghost Ranch has a yearly contest you can enter. The images have to reflect the Ghost Ranch. They can be landscape or interior shots from around the Ghost Ranch. The people that get selected for one of the months get 10 free calendars. The Grand Prize winner gets the cover and a workshop of their choice at the Ghost Ranch along with room and meals for the week.

We were going to the car and getting ready to leave as a storm was approaching. I saw the truck and recognized it from images I had seen of Georgia O'Keeffe. I took a couple of snaps but then decided to walk over to the truck. I made this image, then I tried a couple with fill flash but I didn't like the result. The image has a lot of meaning to me because I wonder how many times O'Keefe saw the same scene through the windows of that truck and was inspired by it. I know it won't mean a lot to people not familiar with Georgia O'Keeffe or the Ghost Ranch, but for me it has deep meaning and I feel privileged for the opportunity to make the image.
8 years 10 months ago #444439 by stuartsbarbie
Congratulations.  Lovely work.  Thank you for the back story. 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444444 by Ian Stone
Awesome!!

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444450 by KCook
That Ghost Ranch has a strange web site.  Almost no photographs!!!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 10 months ago #444451 by Shadowfixer1

KCook wrote: That Ghost Ranch has a strange web site.  Almost no photographs!!!

Kelly

Ghosts are shy.;)
8 years 10 months ago #444452 by KCook
:ntf:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 10 months ago #444467 by John Ledder
Nice balance and very interesting shot.  Old cars and trucks can be very photogenic, and you captured this one beautifully.  

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444473 by Miss Polly
My husband was just bidding on an old '56 Ford a couple weeks ago.  He's been waiting to restore an old classic for some time.  

Interior made for an amazing shot, what did the exterior of this truck look like? 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444512 by Shadowfixer1

Miss Polly wrote: My husband was just bidding on an old '56 Ford a couple weeks ago.  He's been waiting to restore an old classic for some time.  

Interior made for an amazing shot, what did the exterior of this truck look like? 

img\def
8 years 10 months ago #444521 by Prago
Good for you, congrats!  I agree with the previous statements, old trucks are fun to come across. 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444530 by Hoss
:judge:

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444541 by Rawley Photos
Love it, great HDR.  Not overboard either! :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024