Using a fixed aspect ratio on your images?

8 years 10 months ago #444785 by Steve Zahra
I've become a stickler about composition and cropping my images and my aspect ratio's really don't have much continuity from one to another.  What I'm saying is, I'll crop a photo to what I believe will make a better composed image.  The result, is my images seem to have no set aspect ratio.  

Which makes getting frames a bit challenging.  Have you had to deal with this sort of issue?  

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444790 by Hassner
I shoot full frame since the days of film. I printed an area slightly larger than the negative to create a black line around the image. I just continued to frame in-camera. Nowadays with descent zoom lenses it is so much easier. When I do crop (about 2% of the time,) I stick to 2x3 ratio, unless the image screams for a square format, like the Hasselblad days, or for a panoramic stitch.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444824 by Moe
Not in camera, but in post I'll crop to what I need. Or rather the image needs.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444875 by garyrhook
My $0.02:

I think that an odd crop is rarely required. One can usually find that 1x1/2x3/4x5/5x7 or 16x9 will suffice. I stick to 2x3 and use 1x1 or 16x9 on occasion. I rather dislike 4x5, but that's just me.

That said:

You can always take your oddly cropped image and mat it into a standard frame. One reminder I read recently mentioned adding space (in the mat) along the bottom edge to add weight and anchor the framing. I am pretty sure that this would apply to anything you create.

Then: you can get custom mats made, or cut your own. I am checking out Matboard Plus right now. Inexpensive and excellent quantity discounts. More economical than going to Michaels or Aaron Brothers (in the US), and standard sizes can have custom cutouts in both rectangular and oval shapes. You could likely save money by ordering a bunch at one time to save on shipping.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444942 by tganiats
I agree with garyrhook (except I don't mind 4/5 (8/10))

8 years 10 months ago #444955 by KCook
Simples, I'm not such a stickler. I do try the common aspect ratios first. If none come close enough, then I will use a custom ratio. But most of the time a common ratio fits well enough.

mumbles

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 10 months ago #444979 by hghlndr6
Back when I shot 35mm film, I was often shooting for clients who required multiple use of the shot ... slide presentation, plus 8X10 prints, plus use in advertising, brochures, etc. (where the aspect ratio used would be determined by an art director, not by me). So I learned to not frame tight, to leave room on the left, right, or both.

Now, I shoot full frame 3:2 and still do not frame the composition tight. I want the freedom to print in various "standard" sizes, only one of which matches 3:2. If I can't achieve an acceptable crop in a standard size, I'll either mount a custom crop on a standard board, or cut a custom mat. For electronic images, my aspect ratios are all over the map ... whatever works best.
8 years 9 months ago #445083 by Tim Burg
Not really, well perhaps once in a while if the shot calls for it

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445088 by Conner
Yes, when the shot calls for it

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445208 by Joves
Its the digital age, we dunt need no stinkin fixed aspect ratios.
As Gary said you can either cut, or have cut custom mats. And like Bob mine are all over the place when I do crop an image.

8 years 9 months ago #445364 by Rudy Sosa
Well, seriously who doesn't? If the shot needs to be cropped, I think we all do it for the purpose of a quick fix. Now I do try to mentally be aware when I'm taking the shot, but sometimes I don't always get it right out of the camera. :whistle:

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445520 by SJM
Do I crop my photos? Yes all the time. Am I mindful of what the new aspect ratio is during the process or after? Not really.

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445525 by Ladyfreedom
Steve, my maiden and hyphenated name is Zaha :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024