Do you agree with how this photographer handled this Gay Marriage situation?

8 years 9 months ago #445733 by Richard Taylor
So this photographer loses a client after supporting gay marriages. Personally I kind of agree with their response. We had a family dinner last night and the irony my brothers wife who has a gay sister is the one that thought the response was only provocative.

How do you feel about this?

Photo Comments
Attachments:
8 years 9 months ago #445737 by Scotty
lol @ the retainer donation. *golf clap*

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #445739 by Alex
Well I'll say that sent a profound message back to the bride and groom. Kill 'em with kindness comes to mind for some reason.

BTW... Scotty! How you been doing? It's been a long time brother!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445754 by stuartsbarbie
I do not see anywhere in her post that "no one else should have it". She says she does not wish to support it with her money. She is free to feel that way. We have the choice to support or not support what we feel strongly about.

Having said that, I believe the photographer had every right to keep the retainer. I am very happy he donate to GLAD and did not just keep it for himself. However, I do not believe he should have "rubbed her nose" in it.

Just my 5cents worth.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445759 by Scotty

Alex wrote: Well I'll say that sent a profound message back to the bride and groom. Kill 'em with kindness comes to mind for some reason.

BTW... Scotty! How you been doing? It's been a long time brother!

I've been MIA, CCNA/CCNP(school stuff) has completely sucked me in. I am back on the site though from my hiatus, we'll have to chat on the phone soon. I've been doing a lot of drone work, 4k video work, learning the ropes. I plan on shooting again soon as well.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445764 by Moe
Well the contract covered his butt, so he is legally able to do what he wants with it. And his message is a proverbial slug in the jewels!

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445766 by garyrhook
I read this article (on Monday?) and I thought the tone of the response was atrocious.

If the B&G want to take their business elsewhere, then do so. Accept your loss and move on. No worries.

But to smugly try to correct the client's attitude... really? Is that necessary? Productive? Successful. I'll guess "no" on all counts.

Kudos for making the donation, for having a clear contract, for calling it a "retainer", for keeping it whether the requested a refund or not (it's business, not politics, despite what some think...)

But I thought his response was no more admirable than the client's decision to disengage. Seemed like plenty of butt-headed-ness to go around.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #445770 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh this isn't as simple as a choice of food or whatever, there's many reasons why people don't want to support gay marriage and not all of them are hateful or whatever.

In fact the sarcastic and deliberately provocative and mocking reply reminds me of why I really can't stand the so called "tolerant" and "loving" side of this debate.

Reminds me of this:

Orginal: adam4d.com/whos-the-bigot/
8 years 9 months ago #445771 by Stealthy Ninja
Oh yeh and there's this:
Attachments:
8 years 9 months ago #445772 by ThatNikonGuy
Well to me, it seems like the photographer was stirring the pot a little. Who leaked this to media? The photographer? If so could this response have been linked to a premeditated motive?

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445788 by effron
I think Adrian nailed it, and I have a serious case of "gay" fatigue myself. QUIT pushing your alternate lifestyle in my face and live your lives.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445838 by Addicted2Photos
Well it was wrong that the couple voiced their why for leaving the photographer. That only opened up the door for trouble. Then the photographer reacted in a no better way IMO.

I agree with others, if you want to live a certain way, do it and enjoy life. It's that easy.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #445866 by Screamin Scott
I agree with Gary's assessment. That said, simply saying the retainer was "donated" doesn't mean it actually was. I suspect otherwise... The couple was stupid as they should have known the retainer was non refundable & any photographer that declines business for personal as opposed to time or financial constraints is simply shooting themselves in the foot...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445869 by Screamin Scott
This is absolutely true IMHO

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Yeh this isn't as simple as a choice of food or whatever, there's many reasons why people don't want to support gay marriage and not all of them are hateful or whatever.

In fact the sarcastic and deliberately provocative and mocking reply reminds me of why I really can't stand the so called "tolerant" and "loving" side of this debate.

Reminds me of this:

Orginal: adam4d.com/whos-the-bigot/

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #445871 by Screamin Scott
Exactly, It's all about the money....

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Oh yeh and there's this:

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024