Do you agree with how this photographer handled this Gay Marriage situation?

8 years 8 months ago #445878 by Drew Fletcher
So...

There have been cases where gay couples sue photographers for turning them down for being gay.

So couldn't the photographer by these standards sue the couple for their remarks as well?

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445879 by Screamin Scott
No, the couple suing the photographer are suing because of refusal of service in a public enterprise. The other way around isn't the same, the B&G isn't supplying a service....

Drew Fletcher wrote: So...

There have been cases where gay couples sue photographers for turning them down for being gay.

So couldn't the photographer by these standards sue the couple for their remarks as well?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445881 by Rudy Sosa
:huh:

I'm staying clear from this one :rofl:

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445899 by icepics
It seems like it could have been handled in a more business-like way.

A business owner can't ask every prospective client that comes thru the door (or to their website) if they're married or single or gay or straight, what religion they are or what church they go to, etc. etc. When I had storm damage did the adjustor ask me any of those type personal questions? no, of course not, he just got out a ladder and started tromping around on the roof! lol

Of course with a wedding the photographer would know who's getting married and the venue might be a church, so would be getting some idea about those personal aspects. But if you're running a business you're providing a product/service, you're not there to judge someone else's life.

As a photographer someone could market their business in a way to gain clients that would be likely to be a good match for their product and services.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445913 by NickSano
Both parties acted on emotions and childish if you ask me. If you don't care for someones lifestyle or what they do and don't support, just walk. Sending a message only opens a can of worms IMO.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445970 by Soccer Mom

icepics wrote: It seems like it could have been handled in a more business-like way.

A business owner can't ask every prospective client that comes thru the door (or to their website) if they're married or single or gay or straight, what religion they are or what church they go to, etc. etc. When I had storm damage did the adjustor ask me any of those type personal questions? no, of course not, he just got out a ladder and started tromping around on the roof! lol

Of course with a wedding the photographer would know who's getting married and the venue might be a church, so would be getting some idea about those personal aspects. But if you're running a business you're providing a product/service, you're not there to judge someone else's life.

As a photographer someone could market their business in a way to gain clients that would be likely to be a good match for their product and services.

:agree:

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #446008 by Jakov Barnes
Well, isn't this a sticky topic.  :rofl:   I agree, both could have handled this much differently. 

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #446336 by Matt VanDyke
You know what, I think certain high profile topics are overly pushed onto society.  I don't stand on either side of this fence.  I just believe not only with gay rights, there are other 'touchy' topics that lobbyist and activist for these groups over inflate.  It's like a high school girl not getting her way.  

Many of these topics we all should have the right to do what we want, but don't force the topic down the rest of society.  

Just my 2 cents.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024