Photo paper and printing

8 years 8 months ago #448178 by Ginny-Bevis
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNot sure if this is the right place to ask this  but figured if not it could be moved....

Wondering about photo paper .. I have a canon pixma pro 100 printer and wanted to stock up on paper for it  and have been  looking all around for the best deal. what I was wondering is if anyone ever used the photo paper by the roll Cutting it to the right size is not a prob but I am wondering how the photos come out on such paper or is it  not good enough for  photos of people and such. Here is a link to what I am talking about

If not  where would be a good place to order  paper in bulk. I am new to this so can not spend alot of  cash for it but also do not want to spend cash on something that  just won't work.

I would be greatful for any help 

Thank you!

8 years 8 months ago #448179 by Ginny-Bevis
Okay noticed the link did not work so here is the name of the paper.
Premium Inkjet Photo Paper Luster 13 x 100 ft Roll

8 years 8 months ago #448182 by garyrhook
You do not mention a brand, and that is somewhat important.

As for a roll, many printers support rolls with add-on devices to feed it into the printer. Others do not. Or perhaps you intend to cut it to size first, then print. Nothing wrong with that.

There's nothing wrong with using rolls of photo paper (the subject is irrelevant). But it's difficult to suggest any particular paper as it's a rather subjective choice. I would not buy that much paper without being absolutely sure that I would be happy with it. You would likely be better off buying what you need, as you need it.

You also don't indicate the price, but my favorite paper (Red River Satin) in a 17" x 100' roll is $84. That is quite a bit less expensive than buying it in sheets. But my printer doesn't support rolls.

I have no idea how helpful this is.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448258 by Shadowfixer1
Paper is the key to a good print. If you want to go cheap, don't bother printing your own. It's a waste of time and money to do it that way. Find a couple of good papers and learn how to use them. You will be much happier in the long run. I have the Pixma Pro 100 and I use Canon's Semi-gloss for color images and the Pro Platinum for Black & White. This combination works really well together.
8 years 8 months ago #448289 by Ginny-Bevis
All of this is very helpful, The reason I wanted to stock up is becouse where I live it is not  so simple to go run to the store and get more.  As for a waste Most of what I take right now is my Grand kids and I like to see my progress as I go along  .

I was not sure if the roll paper was any different from what I would by in 20 to 50 sheet packages. I  understand that the paper has alot to do with how the prints turn out and figured the only way to find out was  to ask since it is the best way to learn .

Thank you so much for taking a moment to help I am so greatful for any help

8 years 8 months ago #448291 by Shadowfixer1
Generally you can get the same paper in roll or cut stock. Yes, it's a little cheaper by the roll and I cut my own when I use my HP 130 to make big prints like 20x30 or 24x36. It's actually a pain in the rear to handle because the paper wants to roll up after it is cut. Unless you are going to print a lot, I wouldn't bother but it's your money, so.....
8 years 8 months ago #448295 by Don Fischer
My first 13" printer was an HP, don't remember the model. I used a lot of roll paper and cut it myself. The stuff I cut was up to 30" but I could have gone to 40" I think it was. I'm thinking all the rolls I bought were 17" wide, less loss of paper that way. Only better way would get 24" paper and make 12" wide photo's, less waste that way. I've never cut standard size paper, get pretty labor intensive. To find out what you, most paper company's have a sample pack you can get that has the different paper's they sell in them. I still have some Canon 13" paper and it's good stuff. But about all I use now is Red River Satin. I could not explain the difference in them as look's go, they both look great but, the Red River stuff is a bit less expensive. I have used several different brands and all gave more than acceptable photo's. But some were to light weight and I didn't care for them. Most my paper will go about 60+ pounds. 

A side note, my printer give's me the choice on most photo size's to make borderless print's. Then just before printing will tell me there will be over spray because of the no border's. I still do a lot of borderless print's but I wonder if I shouldn't stop that? If I don't want the borderless photo I can always cut the photo down after it's printed and if it's one I'm framing, the border won't matter. Don't know how much waste and how much damaged over spray may or may not do.

8 years 8 months ago #448339 by Number 7
Looking for a good deal on a quality photo printer, you mind me asking where you picked up yours?  

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448388 by Shadowfixer1
8 years 8 months ago #448442 by Ginny-Bevis

8 years 8 months ago #448446 by icepics
I'd suggest starting out with a pack to try, or even buy sample packs to try different papers before getting into buying a roll. 

I'm doing art prints not printing large numbers for clients so I print my own; otherwise I might check into having them printed for me. Depends cost wise and how you'll be using the pictures what your best option is.

How many 8x10 or larger prints would you want or use? If you want 4x6s those little packs might be a better value for starting out than a roll .I haven't priced to compare, I just do 4x6s or 5x7s for my personal use unless it's something I want in an 8x10 or larger for a print portfolio or to frame.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448954 by Ginny-Bevis
WOw I have to say Red river is awesome! I ordered a sample pack. and started printing the same photo on the different papers and found one so close to the canon luster and placed an order.
There prices are not to bad and after  spending 6 bucks for the sample pack they sent  a $10.00 off coupon via email so that  pretty much paid for the shipping. I ordered on a Friday and got it on Monday hehe I had no clue they are in Texas!

Hmm I wonder if they have a store front.... Have to wait till hubby is able to work agin before I do that..   That could be like a kid in a toy store lol.

8 years 8 months ago #448956 by garyrhook

Ginny-Bevis wrote: WOw I have to say Red river is awesome! I ordered a sample pack. and started printing the same photo on the different papers and found one so close to the canon luster and placed an order.
There prices are not to bad and after  spending 6 bucks for the sample pack they sent  a $10.00 off coupon via email so that  pretty much paid for the shipping. I ordered on a Friday and got it on Monday hehe I had no clue they are in Texas!

Hmm I wonder if they have a store front.... Have to wait till hubby is able to work agin before I do that..   That could be like a kid in a toy store lol.

Toldja. I usually get mine within 2 business days from the order (when I order in the evening). And yes, the sample packs are great. I haven't finished going through all of mine, as I stopped as soon as I discovered Arctic Polar.

And yes, their frequent customer system is helpful, too.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448958 by Ginny-Bevis
I went withe the ultra pro.  I made my Hubby and Daughter who could careless look at all of them and pull out the 2 they thought looked best and ultra pro and polar  are the two they pulled out. The both look and feel just like the canon luster

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024