Photographer press badges

8 years 8 months ago #448391 by Prago
Are any of those photographer press badges you see in back of magazines worth getting?  Would be great if they allow you behind the scenes access or other vantage point perks.  I have not purchased yet, so please give me the real 411. 

Thanks!  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #448441 by effron
Are those for concerts and the like? I wouldn't waste my money. You need an "in", need to  know somebody, and it gets tougher by the day now that there are six billion "photographers" on the planet .....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448444 by Shadowfixer1
That would be a no. You have to get credentials from the organization putting on the event to get their official pass. Don't waste your money.
8 years 8 months ago #448445 by icepics
I agree, I wouldn't waste your money.

In my experience in my area at the university and minor pro level they issue their own credentials; you'd need to go thru the SID at a university and a PR/media director/dept. with a team. I've had credentials; you have to have a reason for obtaining them.

Depends, those being sold in ads might get you into a lower level sport where they wouldn't know what those passes are and might just be glad to have people showing up for their games. But I wouldn't count on getting very far with them.

There's one whose name I can't remember that runs ads and appears to be an organization but is really I think a couple that runs it (no board or officers etc.), and it's been around for years and years. They provide some laminated badges and do their own 'magazine'; people who buy the passes are supposedly shooting for it but it's just a publication given to people who pay for their so-called passes. It's legal I suppose but lame.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448561 by Robert Chen
Absolutely not, save your $$

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448633 by Conner
I'll pass on this

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448794 by Ruby Grace
OMG seriously save your money.  I spent $87 on a membership 4 years ago, that came with a press badge.  It looked like a legit ad in photography magazine.  Could have been, but the credentials didn't do squat for me.  They seriously didn't work, when I showed them on location in hopes of back stage access or media access, I was told I needed to get approved ahead of time.  The one time I did submit properly, I was told they were 'accredited' press badge.  

I'll see about digging it up, I see the name of the company in my head, but can't name it.  Ahhhhh

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #448928 by Stacy Craig
+1 save money, and buy a filter or something you can get some value from.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449100 by Tristan R
Small town events will take ID's like this, it's the big events that won't have it

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449380 by ThatNikonGuy

Tristan R wrote: Small town events will take ID's like this, it's the big events that won't have it

Good point

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449433 by Garbo

Tristan R wrote: Small town events will take ID's like this, it's the big events that won't have it

+1 agree, it's all about supply and demand

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449744 by Tristan R
Speaking of which, so if you do a gig for magazine and get legit media pass, how long are these generally good for?

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449784 by icepics
Depends on what it is. The team I used to take pictures for would issue some passes that were dated, just for one game. Mine was for the season.

Seems to be getting much stricter as teams are trying to protect their name, logo, player images, etc. Most places in my area restrict what lens can be brought in to the arena and don't issue credentials without a legit reason for someone to have access. I had to sign off on a form agreeing to not hold them liable for any risk (getting conked by a hockey puck, etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024