Converting RAW files to DNG?

8 years 8 months ago #449072 by Mayo
Who here is converting your RAW files to DNG?  I had read an article last week that made it sound that DNG was the future, and that photographers should plan ahead of time and convert now.  

Not sure if this was snake oil salesman or legit point.  Can you share your opinion?  

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449073 by Screamin Scott
Sounds a bit bogus to me...DNG is Adobe's equivalent of a "Raw" file but no company is safe from going out of business. Any of the "Raw" formats will be viable as long as the business stays afloat....As Nikon, Canon et al, change their recording formats, they will offer ways of converting older formats to the newer ones. Yeah, Adobe is a large company, but any company is subject to failure or being absorbed into another...Now if the person said Tiff or JPEG (a newer "lossless" version is being developed) then they might have a point as those are standardized formats, not proprietary...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449084 by icepics
My digital camera is DNG; it gives me a Raw image and an automatically produced JPEG from that. (I rarely use that JPEG but may save the Raw as a JPEG or a PSD file depending on what I'm going to do with the photo.)

Supposedly the DNG format would be better able to be converted to any future formats that might be developed someday. I don't know if that will be the case or not.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449270 by Jessa Layton
This is news to me, hadn't even paid much attention to this.  

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449280 by effron
I save my keepers as NEF (raw) files. I work them and save as a PSD until I decide what to do with them. I never convert to a dng....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449306 by Joves
I think you read an old article, unless of course someone is bringing up the need for a common RAW format. While yes I agree that having a common format would be nice, it would need to be a fully freely available one. A few years ago it was argued that DNG be the common format, but I have a feeling Adobe was behind that. I have no problem with DNG being the common as long as Adobe does not hold back in sharing it so anyone can write a program to process it. That is one of the problems with ACR in that it does not have full capabilities with NEF, it can do a lot, but not everything. If you want to do conversions then download the DNG converter available at the Adobe site, just type DNG converter.

8 years 8 months ago #449328 by Uplander
I will usually save as either JPG or keep as RAW files, never save as DNG.  

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449354 by PhotoViking
I'll convert from RAW (CR2) to TIFF.
JPEG for handouts - or photos to be posted/uploaded.......

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449576 by H Rocky

Screamin Scott wrote: Sounds a bit bogus to me...DNG is Adobe's equivalent of a "Raw" file but no company is safe from going out of business. Any of the "Raw" formats will be viable as long as the business stays afloat....As Nikon, Canon et al, change their recording formats, they will offer ways of converting older formats to the newer ones. Yeah, Adobe is a large company, but any company is subject to failure or being absorbed into another...Now if the person said Tiff or JPEG (a newer "lossless" version is being developed) then they might have a point as those are standardized formats, not proprietary...

+1

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024