Tracking stolen camera down via serial number

8 years 8 months ago #450336 by Vincent
Friend just called me, with crappy news about his camera getting stolen from his truck.  His error, apparently he never locked his doors.  Happened today.  I told him to keep an eye on Craigslist.  Do any of you know if there is recovery serial software that searches sites lite Craigslist or ebay for serial numbers of stolen gear? 

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #450338 by icepics
Do people give the serial numbers when they list cameras on craigslist or ebay? I don't think they necessarily do. I suppose watch your local listings. Sorry this happened to your friend.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #450353 by Jackson Rieger
:agree: no thief is going to post a serial number to gear they just ripped off someone. 

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #450393 by Jessa Layton
The only way that is going to be found is if the new owner plugs the serial number in for some warranty.  Sorry it's going to be a tough find for your friend.  

Now while on topic, why don't camera manufactures have a 'find my camera' feature.  Similar to what Apple has in their iPads and such?  

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #450462 by effron
This is probably your best bet....The thief might be stupid enough to post a photo....

www.stolencamerafinder.com/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #450471 by Roblane
Thanks for posting that Effron, I heard about that site last year and totally forgot to book mark it! 

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #450504 by effron
Also, be sure to report the stolen gear to Nikon, if it ever goes in for repair they are likely to return it to the original owner. I've seen this happen in the past.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #450506 by garyrhook

Jessa Layton wrote: Now while on topic, why don't camera manufactures have a 'find my camera' feature.  Similar to what Apple has in their iPads and such?  

Because DSLRs, in general, are not wirelessly connected to the network. Apples and oranges.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #450635 by Roman Omell
Unless you are holding a Nikon D750  ;) 

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452408 by VanHalen5150
File a police report with the serial number, if they ever pawn it you should get it back. Also keep an eye on craigslist, if you find one hit them up, kinda play dumb, ask for pictures to see the condition of the unit. Maybe you get lucky and see the serial number.

Thinking further on the matter wouldn't it be nice if the cameras serial number was included it the images taken EXIF data?

8 years 7 months ago #452442 by Chris Briggs
+1 about all you can do here

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024