AFOTD: Detroit, Drone, and Tilt-Shift

8 years 7 months ago #451767 by garyrhook
This is interesting to me on a number of levels.

fstoppers.com/architecture/tilt-shift-ti...t-look-amazing-82398

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #452405 by VanHalen5150
Man, I still remember the first tilt-shift video I saw yeas ago called "The sand box" or "The sand pit" Shot in New York. I was instantly hooked!

Speaking of, I asked in another thread but I think it got lost in a mound of questions. The Girlfriend and I'd like to get a tilt-shift lens, But I can't see investing $1,900-$2,200 in one Nikkor lens for a "Semi-pro photographers" gear bag. I'm sure the lenses them selves are worth every penny. I'm just pretty sure WE wouldn't get $2,000 worth of use, work or enjoyment out of them. Not yet anyway.

So I've been looking around and found a lens made by a company called Rokinon or Samyang. Apparently they're made by the same company, same specs etc, Just sold under two different names. Now these lenses retail for around $600 I believe, and the worst I've heard so far is the adjustment knobs are kind of tiny and hard to work with. That said I can easily turn out some new ones in the machine shop or 3D printer if that's all that's needed.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not expect the quality, functionality or longevity of a Nikkor lens. But it seems as an intro to tilt-shift photography this lens may well win in the "bang for buck" category. Also if I get it and we take good care of it, and decide we want to move up, Hopefully I can sell it and recoup a decent portion of my investment towards one of the Nikkor units.

So, Anybody have any experience with the Rokinon/Samyang unit? Opinions, warnings etc?

TIA!
VAN

8 years 6 months ago #452412 by Sandy Smith Photos
Looks like a fun project with a drone, good first to watch video

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452476 by garyrhook
Since 
 wants to hijack my thread....
Yes, Rokinon and Samyang have the same manufacturer. No, you probably won't be able to recoup much of your original outlay.

I'd suggest renting a tilt-shift and make serious use of it to see if it's something you will really use. Send it back, start a list of project, rent again. And see what you really think.

or buy the Rokinon and don't look back.

I never consider resale value when buying a tool. It's an expense, not an investment.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452629 by VanHalen5150
Sorry, Didn't mean to jack your thread. Jut though it semi on topic since we were talking tilt-shift. The rental idea could be the way to go though. Thanks for the idea!

I wonder if anybody rents the Samyang/Rokinon units. Could be nice to do a side by side to see if the Nikkor is worth the extra $.

8 years 6 months ago #452631 by Shadowfixer1
The lenses used weren't tilt shift lenses. The tilt shift effect had to be added by software considering what the footage was shot with. Neat find Hook.
8 years 6 months ago #452635 by garyrhook

VanHalen5150 wrote: Sorry, Didn't mean to jack your thread. Jut though it semi on topic since we were talking tilt-shift. The rental idea could be the way to go though. Thanks for the idea!

No worries; just teasing you.

Yes, you can rent. Just go to lensrentals.com or borrowlenses.com:

www.lensrentals.com/rent/nikon/lenses/specialty

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024