Hunter wants me to follow them around

8 years 7 months ago #452137 by KZAM
Would you take a job photographing hunters in the woods for 3 days?  You are 1 photographer and there are 12 hunters.

I'm more on the fence about the safety issue.  They want me to "softly" walk around to all the spots where the hunters hang out and candidly photograph them.  Frankly this sounds like an accident ready to happen.

Am I thinking on the level here?  

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452140 by hghlndr6
I'd pass.  I'm not putting myself downrange of 12 guns.  
8 years 7 months ago #452147 by Foxy Girl
Agree, not a chance.  To many accidents happening these days.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452148 by KZAM
Looks like I wasn't the only one thinking this.  My wife just about smacked me in the head "Why would you even consider this".  :side:

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #452162 by effron
Most hunters would be a safe bet. Don't get too caught up in this media frenzied, PC swill. Turning down a paid gig is odd in my book.If you don't feel "comfie", don't do it, its as simple as that. 
You also leave out a lot of info, what and where are they hunting, these hunters traveling to a base camp, are guides present? 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452172 by garyrhook
Aside from the fact that an uninformed assessment that concludes the situation is unsafe is just illogical (and perhaps a little insulting)....

One wonders why you would need 3 days? Unless there was much hiking into back country, making it difficult to get out. Of course, it is also possible that they may not find any game right away, so it could take a while to get good shots.

If I liked being out, was reasonably interested in hunting, got to meet at least some of the group beforehand, and thought it sounded fun, I might do it. Depending upon where one was going, one might also be able to leverage the opportunity for landscape shots (depending upon terrain). Oh, and got paid enough. Which would be on the order of $5K or so.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452180 by Roy Wilson
Reminds me of this video named "The Dumbest Photographer"

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452240 by icepics
I guess if your wife smacked you in the head that might tell you what you need to know! lol

The most 'dangerous' sport I've photographed has been hockey! But seriously, I think you need to know the sport and know what you're doing. I only remember a couple of times that I was in between the benches that they brought an injured player off the ice, but things can happen fast - once the team doctor was coming down the steps and next thing I knew he leapt into the tunnel right next to where I was standing and trainers/medical staff were heading into the tunnel etc.

I think it takes being aware of what's going on around you, and knowing where to be or where not to be, etc. I probably wouldn't take on something I didn't know how to do unless I wanted to spend time learning or getting training in knowing how to do it properly.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452273 by Prago

Roy Wilson wrote: Reminds me of this video named "The Dumbest Photographer"

And this is how you end up on the 6'oclock news

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452282 by effron
I don't see any hunters there.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452304 by Martin
Those can't be live rounds being used in those guns?!  

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452382 by Roman Omell
I value life to much, I would pass

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452404 by Vahrenkamp

Prago wrote:

Roy Wilson wrote: Reminds me of this video named "The Dumbest Photographer"

:blink:  Seriously?

And this is how you end up on the 6'oclock news

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452419 by Ben Vanderbilt
There are a number of things that you need to keep in mind.  100% knowing where all the hunters are AND them knowing where you are at all times.  Wear BRIGHT cloths, most cases they should have look out points that are clearly marked. 

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452540 by Carry
Well my husband would be all over this, for me it's just something personally I would not do.  There would need to be insane about of safety in place.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024