Expensive lens takes a fall for the worse

8 years 6 months ago #457188 by Victor.E
My fault, today I had my D800 with my 300mm f/2.8 mounted on tripod and gimbal behind my truck.  A police officer stopped by and told me to move my truck off the road more, and with out thinking I started to move my truck while talking to the officer and knocked into my camera set up.  The camera with the 300mm knocked over and smashed into the pavement.  The front element of the lens is destroyed.  My camera is scratched up, but I can confirm that it still works.  

Who does good lens repair work?  

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457191 by John Landolfi
Nightmare!
I would contact Nikon for a lens of that caliber

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457203 by Screamin Scott
Did you have it insured ?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457232 by Moe

Screamin Scott wrote: Did you have it insured ?

If not, I'm sure they are wishing it was!

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457240 by Ted Baker
Ouch, good luck with the repair!  I hope you have insurance. 
Www.criscam.com

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457315 by Victor.E
Thanks everyone, I'll be checking out that site and tips

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457351 by Mason Katz
Isn't that like a $6000 lens?  I wouldn't sleep till that was fixed.  

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457381 by Stanly
Will your home owners insurance cover this?

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457427 by Eliffman
It should be covered under home owners 

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457428 by goodoldroute15
I suspect Nikon would offer the best repair work. Probably the most expensive too though.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457429 by Screamin Scott
Unless it was covered under a separate endorsement, most homeowners policies have a cap on any one category of loss well below the replacement cost of this les. Of course that is still subject to the deductible & depreciation. That is also provided they would cover it at all. If the person makes any money with photography, even selling just one print, they can deny coverage. Many times a highly expensive lens is considered "Pro" gear & needs to be covered under a Inland Marine policy...

Eliffman wrote: It should be covered under home owners 

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457467 by Kenta
Just imagining this makes my stomach uneasy

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457634 by KenMan
How did you make out on this?

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457857 by Victor.E
Out of pocket cost to me  :( 

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #458003 by Hoss
Well all I can say is: I'm sorry about your luck!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024