Changing lenses while it's snowing

8 years 4 months ago #463116 by MYoung
If you don't have shelter around and your wearing a tight winter coat that won't allow changing under it.  How do you change your lens out?   I meant to ask this last winter here and with snowy weather imminent.  Might as well ask and find out now.  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463121 by effron
I carry a 33 gal trash bag or two, takes up no room in the bag and you'd be amazed what they can be used for...like changing lens in dust/snow/rain storms?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463190 by nanhi
If you are an Amateur Photographer you DONT change lenses in snow, sleet & rain.
If you are a moolah earning Pro, YES you CAN change lenses in these conditions. Most Pros use a changing bag like the big plastic trash bag Effron Sir mentioned.

You check the weather report and then carry the appropriate lens for the type of photography.
Example we were in the Canadian Rockies and knew that the weather would be bad on two days in our six day trip. So on the wet snowy days I just carried the 16-50 f2.8 lens, The 8-16 mm and the HD 55-300 WR stayed home.

It helps to have a weather resistant camera like my Pentax K-5 IIs and the 16-50 Lens in these conditions.

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463302 by Rawley Photos
+1 large clear trash bag or plastic bag

Make sure your hands are dry first

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463317 by Ian Stone
That's what I do, straight forward

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463324 by nanhi
Rawley Sir, if you are a Pro please DO change lenses in snow, sleet and rain, because it is your bread & butter - and carry the Pro's Changing Bag.
If you are an Amateur Photographer you DONT change lenses - PERIOD. Yes DO carry a large Zip Loc Bag to protect your camera and lens in really bad weather.
Please re-read my post above, which implores you to get the Weather Forecast and put the appropriate lens on your camera for the type of photography you are going to pursue in snow, sleet or rain. Rain covers for the camera and lens when shooting in these conditions are available from Amazon for $ 8. I don't bother as I use WR gear.
Regards.

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463370 by icepics
I'd think about a poncho, might be worth trying one while they're in style and easy to find. Then you could tuck the camera under it as needed if you're out and about when it's snowing. Maybe get one with pockets and carry a bag along too. I practically live in vests & scarves/hats unless it's bitter cold so my arms are free and I can maneuver easier than in a bulky coat.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463372 by nanhi
                                                                                                                  Icepics Sir, here is my Israeli Poncho in the icy cold of the iceberg, Columbia Icefields, Canadian Rockies. You can see my camera bag peeking out.
It has hidden sleeves from which you can poke out your hands.
Very thin waterproof material. You can fold and pocket the poncho

Photo Comments
Attachments:
8 years 4 months ago #463398 by Jacob Fisher
WOW that looks like a huge bus, any photos of the full thing?

OP- this is more reason to have 2 camera bodies, that way you don't need to swap lens as much when snowing. 

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463400 by nanhi
Hello Jacob, thank you for looking. Here is the photo of these monster buses. The inclines these buses can handle will frighten you.  Even the roof is glassed in for a view to remember all your life. Thrilling being on top of the world deep on an iceberg.
We thanked our son & God for giving us the thrill of our lives.
Regards.

PS: Request moderator to remove multiple copies from the earlier post. Don't know how they got there?

Photo Comments
Attachments:
8 years 4 months ago #463521 by One Wish
Those buses are beasts!  Where they loud when moving?  They look fun and most likely got you to some very interesting spots to photograph.  Thanks for posting.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024