Mold in lenses

8 years 4 months ago #463219 by ShutterPal
I'm buying some older manual lenses.  The seller has told me that a few of them have some mold in them.  How does this happen and how can this be removed.  Better yet, if not practical to remove, will it interfere with image quality?  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463231 by Tim Dordeck
Well yes, if the mold is growing on the glass elements.  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #463268 by effron
Lens fungus isn't good, not a death knell every time either....
photo.stackexchange.com/questions/14794/...how-to-get-rid-of-it

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463510 by Roblane
Yeah, unless you got an absolutely killer deal on these, I wouldn't bother.  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463895 by Colorado Mike
Unless it's a block of cheese, mold in anything is bad news.   I'd pass.  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463985 by Frisco

Roblane wrote: Yeah, unless you got an absolutely killer deal on these, I wouldn't bother.  

I was thinking the same thing, even with a killer deal.  Still might not be worth it.  

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #464171 by Duncan K
So how does the mold get in the start with?

8 years 4 months ago #464254 by Don Fischer
I bought my RB67 and it's lens's used and there was mold in one of the lens's. I took it all to a camera shop and had them service everything including cleaning the lens's out, mild all gone. If I remember right it cost me something like $500 to do it but I got the camera I wanted.

8 years 4 months ago #464255 by Don Fischer
I bought my RB67 and it's lens's used and there was mold in one of the lens's. I took it all to a camera shop and had them service everything including cleaning the lens's out, mild all gone. If I remember right it cost me something like $500 to do it but I got the camera I wanted.

8 years 4 months ago #464257 by Screamin Scott
The correct answer is "it depends". How bad is the fungus?. Extensive cases can etch the glass causing the images to be soft. A small amount may be cleaned & you would never notice the difference.... I've had lenses with fungus. The images can be salvaged in post to some degree. If it's not a bad case of fungus & the price is right, it may be worth it, otherwise, pass...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #464345 by Ben Vanderbilt
Although I agree, it depends on the amount of mold.  However if you want a good indicator as to what the lens is worth.  Call up someone like KEH.com and tell them you have a lens with mold in it, and see what they offer you for it.  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #464349 by effron
A thread like this can get some people worked up, and all photographers should read this article. Not all mold, fungus, scratches, spots, etc are the same.....
www.kenrockwell.com/tech/flashlight-test.htm

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024