Places to photograph in Calgary, Canada?

8 years 4 months ago #463303 by Joslyn
I'll be up in Calgary next month for 10 days and looking for any must hit hot spots.  Please share what you can.  Thank you.  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463309 by effron
Are you kidding? Banff is a few miles to the west, for one....Everything else is good. You didn't say what you like to photograph....:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463350 by Roger Lang
:agree:  Banff is one of natures most beautiful playgrounds  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463386 by Otto F
Wasn't the Olympics just held up there?  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463486 by No Show
My friends and I were just talking about heading up to Banff for camping and photos in Spring 2016.  If you have not been there, I highly recommend it.  One of natures most beautiful spectacles IMO.

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463501 by ilh2009ky
As mentioned by others, Banff is a favorite place for landscape and nature photography.  Be sure to go to Vermilion Lakes just off the second Banff exit (going west).  It consists of three beautiful lakes and wetlands with Mt. Rundle, Sulphur Mountain, Tunnel Mountain and several other mountains as background.  There are great lake reflections at all times during the day and twilight.  The mountains seem to move with you so as to assure great photos.  Also, don't miss the drive North up the Bow River Parkway to Lake Louise.  Leave early in the morning so you can catch the sunrise, then have breakfast or brunch at the hotel there (with a great view of the lake and Victoria Glacier).  If you go further North, you get to Herbert Lake, Peyto Lake and Bow Lake just off the Icefields Parkway.   You can spend hours at each of the lakes I've mentioned.  Lastly, one place I forgot to mention:  halfway between Calgary and Banff is Kananaskis Country, a large provincial park which should actually be a national park.  Lots of lakes, mountains, hiking, beaver dams, and photo opportunities.  Think sensory overload.  And, enjoy the time.  If you really want to get crazy (and, if the snow permits) spend a day or two in Jasper and the national park there.  It's comparable to Banff and its national park.  By the way, there are a couple of national parks nearby including Yoho National Park.  I guess you can tell that I love the place!  Visit my website at www.ilhphotography.com/f286058851 for an idea of the types of images you can shoot.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

6 years 11 months ago #525286 by Scarlet-Heart
Hi I think this will help you, visit this site www.emilyexon.com/

6 years 11 months ago #525293 by Screamin Scott
My wife lived in Calgary for several years. Other than Banff/Lake Louise, etc. they have the Calgary stampede but that isn't until June IIRC...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #525374 by effron

Scarlet-Heart wrote: Hi I think this will help you, visit this site www.emilyexon.com/

If he goes again, the post was a year five months ago.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024