ViewBug

8 years 3 months ago #466344 by stuartsbarbie
Does anyone have a subscription to ViewBug? Have you had any luck with their contest? What are your thoughts?

Trying to decide whether or not to join.

Photo Comments
8 years 3 months ago #466346 by icepics
Why pay to enter contests? You can find contests on your own. They apparently make money on memberships etc. and the voting seems to be a popularity contest as much as anything. It's easy these days for a company to have a nice looking website but what they're offering or selling may not be that great. I scroll down to the bottom of a site and look at things like About Us, Terms & Conditions, etc.

I know a couple of people (not from this site) who tried it and said they didn't stay with it long because it wasn't worthwhile for them. Said they still keep getting emails from the company.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: stuartsbarbie
8 years 3 months ago #466358 by Screamin Scott
I placed in the top 30% according to an email I got from them in their latest contest thru snapfish.  My image was ahead of 126,854 other images. That said, I don't usually enter their contests,
nor participate much on that site. I think they entered that image for me. I have one of their "free" accounts.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 3 months ago #466373 by Dragonflies
Looked at them about 7 months ago, wasn't all that impressed.  Pass.  

8 years 3 months ago #466430 by icepics
Now you guys got me curious, I hadn't looked at their site in a long time. Already under Terms of Use of the Viewbug Website, #2 goes into third parties, #5 User Submissions gets into allowing the site  usage of your photos etc. And now says 'Your Photos May Be Selected To Receive More Exposure!'. Exposure to who? other photographers? what advantage is that to you? seems like that's to the advantage of the company.

I quit reading the Terms after that, it goes on and on. I just don't think I'd sign something like this, which seems to be basically what you're doing when you use a site and agree to follow their terms.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 3 months ago #466433 by stuartsbarbie
Thank you all for your feedback.  I was teetering and you have helped me not spend any money. :)

Photo Comments
8 years 3 months ago #466434 by Tony Imaging

icepics wrote: Now you guys got me curious, I hadn't looked at their site in a long time. Already under Terms of Use of the Viewbug Website, #2 goes into third parties, #5 User Submissions gets into allowing the site  usage of your photos etc. And now says 'Your Photos May Be Selected To Receive More Exposure!'. Exposure to who? other photographers? what advantage is that to you? seems like that's to the advantage of the company.

I quit reading the Terms after that, it goes on and on. I just don't think I'd sign something like this, which seems to be basically what you're doing when you use a site and agree to follow their terms.

:agree:     I was thinking the same thing.  Pass 

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #482793 by diogenes
Late to this discussion, but with my two cents on Viewbug. They've combined the social accessories of facebook (likes, followers, Pm's, peer awards) added a hierarchical points system ( a 'Wow, you progress to the next level!' encouragement system'),  using those, and zealous email promptings, to pamper your vanity and have you paying memberships to enter the Premium or Pro contests, a dream they encourage around you (using the above mentioned stuff). Their production line of contests often contain over 50,000 entries, and, on a contest completion, they're polite enough to show you a line graph depicting how many tens of thousands of entries had more family and relatives than you have, voting for their shot.   They invite professional photographers to judge the contests, which adds a bit of celebrity and star power to proceedings, and DO use advertising in offering sponsors gear prizes, and cash. They also interview professional photograhers in their blog (which doesn't allow comments/interaction), which constitutes a 'tutorial' on the photographer's work and chosen field. It is all carefully managed, easily digestible 101 stuff. Noticably, there's no forum for members to interact. You only get to one on one with other members, using Pm's. And managed further, in the sense that your comments, complaints or feedback (using an email form submission) are never heard by anyone else in forum. Viewbug is corporate, clever, slick and faceless ( emails signed, 'Your friends at Viewbug). It has you paying for the privilege of their packaging and social networking. Beneath its social networking, slickness and accessories, Viewbug's business isn't photography. It's money. The service it provides in the field of Photography is wholly in the eye of the membership buyers. And there's nothing of the Viewbug 'photographic dream' selling business that you can't get elsewhere on the web, for free and without the ego massaging. That said, its use of members and its money making model is the closest thing to a ponzi scheme that you're allowed to have now days. Bernie Madoff would be proud.

7 years 10 months ago #482844 by Vahrenkamp
Sounds like you didn't have a pleasant experience there!  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #574485 by Fess Walker
LOL I'll say @Vahrenkamp. 

OP- Well sorry you had such a bad experience!

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #574510 by effron
He's had two years to get over it.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024