Photographing parked train cars

8 years 2 months ago #469301 by Soccer Mom
I found an area close to me that usually has parked old rusty train and train cars.  Some of these trains and train cars have so much character.  If your just walking around the tracks, are you breaking any laws?

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469305 by Crazyguy
Trains are private property.   I'm not sure how far that extends with regards to the tracks. I know the tracks are private property, however how far that extends beyond the tracks, not sure.  

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469313 by effron
I photograph abandoned train cars all the time. Private property, yes but I have never been hassled. Show good sense and if someone questions your "right" to be there, apologize and leave....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469320 by CatherineW
Good to know

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469327 by icepics
It might depend on how close you are to the tracks. If you walked on the tracks you'd be on railroad property; how close you walk beside the tracks is probably what determines if/where that's considered railroad property. You might be fine from something of a distance with a longer lens depending on who's property you're on nearby.

Are these tracks still in active use or old, overgrown tracks not being used anymore? That might make a difference, I don't know - you'd probably need to look up railway companies that have trains in your area and see if you can find anything on their websites.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469389 by Roy Wilson

effron wrote: I photograph abandoned train cars all the time. Private property, yes but I have never been hassled. Show good sense and if someone questions your "right" to be there, apologize and leave....

+1  same here.  Don't act suspicious and respect that you are around someone else property.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469412 by Rudy Sosa
I've never been asked to leave train tracks, but then again I don't shoot them to often .  

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469479 by Kenta
Not an issue down here, photograph what you want

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469617 by Glen Martin
What's funny is that, I didn't know the rail road tracks were private party when I first started!  Never took the time to think about it.  All those thousands of miles of track laying all over the place, belongs to someone.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024