Getting media passes for events

8 years 2 months ago #469511 by Miss Polly
If you want to shoot an event to take photos that you hope you can market afterwards. What is the process of getting a media pass? 

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #469514 by Screamin Scott
Go to the event host or sponsor to obtain them.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469558 by effron
Back in the day I knew a promoter,  and a ticket agent in southern California, and subbed for a busy professional photographer that gave me stuff he couldn't get to (or didn't want). I got good jobs for a while, however me thinks those connections are tough to come by these days.  

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469570 by ShutterPal
I might be off, however don't you need to be contracted with many of these events?  Otherwise they have photographers all over trying to get in?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
8 years 2 months ago #469643 by Sue Bidwell
What sort of events can you get access to?

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469737 by ShutterPal
Mostly sporting events

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469745 by Luca
 Does this really work? There are a few upcoming concerts I would like to attend. This has me thinking. 

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469774 by Stic
Only familiar with motorsport events, but at most (if not all) of the events we shot, we only got passes because we were media (shooting for a specific magazine).

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469775 by Stic
I should point out that these passes allowed us access everywhere, including track and infield...

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469944 by ThatNikonGuy

Stic wrote: Only familiar with motorsport events, but at most (if not all) of the events we shot, we only got passes because we were media (shooting for a specific magazine).

You get all the best Vantage points too right?  

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #469975 by icepics

Luca wrote:  Does this really work? There are a few upcoming concerts I would like to attend. This has me thinking. 

I don't think it's likely this will work. In my experience it's necessary to have a reason or purpose to request credentials.

It depends on the event or level of sport. Local events may not have much in the way of restrictions on bringing cameras or taking pictures. Usually youth sports don't issue credentials but I've read that high schools are starting to do so. For college sports usually you go thru the SID. For pro sports/events it's a media/PR director.

I recently saw an interview during intermission with a director of media, brand and content - that was a new one. But part of the purpose of controlling access is to protect their name/logo, player images, etc.

It also may be due to safety reasons - shooting hockey when I had a pass I had to sign off that I understood/accepted that there may be some risk and I would not hold them responsible/liable. I felt like having credentials was a privilege and is a certain amount of responsibility on the photographer's part. I've experienced an injured player being brought thru the tunnel where I was standing so it can mean paying attention to what's going on around you.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #469977 by icepics

Miss Polly wrote: If you want to shoot an event to take photos that you hope you can market afterwards. What is the process of getting a media pass? 

It probably depends on what it is. In my experience there's usually a PR/media person - try checking the website for the event or call/email and ask who to contact. At the arena/venue there is often a window where media, scouts, etc. can pick up their credentials/passes on the way in. I still had to have my bag checked at security on the way in (even if I had a pass hanging on the bag).  Other passes would not be accepted - it had to be the official pass issued to all staff, media, ticket takers, etc.

Depending on how you want to use the images you may need to know how/when to get releases signed and how/when to license usage. Try http://asmp.org  or PPA. Usually you'd need a release for commercial or retail use; usually not to sell a fine art print (intended for the buyer's personal use). Typically for editorial use a release isn't needed but may be requested. Unless you're only selling individual prints you'd probably be licensing usage of the images and would need to have a contract with specific usage (how long, size of a print run, etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470206 by Luca
So is there a directory or something that shows upcoming events that are open for media passes?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024