Financial question for photographers who run a business

8 years 2 months ago #470305 by MYoung
I've been using my debit card from my bank for my business (it's a business checking account).  I want to sign up for a credit card for my business and was looking to find out which credit card offers the most perks for business owners? 

If you can suggest which to stay away, that would be helpful too.  Thank you.

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470438 by Matt VanDyke
Capital One Spark
American Express (Platinum or Business Cash)
Chase Ink Plus 

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470442 by J Photo Man
Keep in mind the Amex Platinum card needs to be paid off each month

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470480 by Colorado Mike
B&A or what ever bank you are with already.  Chances are they have commercial products and might give you better card

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470488 by Jeffster

J Photo Man wrote: Keep in mind the Amex Platinum card needs to be paid off each month

You get 40,000 miles with $3000 spent in first 3 months  ;) 

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470510 by MYoung
I was looking at the American express platinum and they want to charge a fee of $450 per year?!  What's so special about the card?  

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470521 by Missy J
I have a Chase Ink Business Plus card for my biz, it's a good card and the perks with Chase are worth looking at. 

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470692 by Ruby Grace
FYI to anyone considering the Capital One Spark card, this one reports on your personal credit too.  So that utilization will reflect on personal.  Which might have a negative impact if too high.  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470739 by Orlando Bohland

Ruby Grace wrote: FYI to anyone considering the Capital One Spark card, this one reports on your personal credit too.  So that utilization will reflect on personal.  Which might have a negative impact if too high.  

+1  so watch for that rolling balance

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470751 by TGonzo
In order to apply for a business card, what sort of company structure do you need to have? 

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470753 by plymouthcards

MYoung wrote: I've been using my debit card from my bank for my business (it's a business checking account).  I want to sign up for a credit card for my business and was looking to find out which credit card offers the most perks for business owners? 

If you can suggest which to stay away, that would be helpful too.  Thank you.

I love the Southwest Business credit card, lower annual fee and we use lots of airline miles with two kids in college out of state. Plus if you travel out of the country, they do not charge you currency conversion fees.

I found a great analysis done by Bankrate ,  http://www.bankrate.com/credit-cards/business-cards.aspx
8 years 2 months ago #470754 by plymouthcards

TGonzo wrote: In order to apply for a business card, what sort of company structure do you need to have? 

Some you can be a sole proprietor and others require that you are a S Corp/C Corp. 
8 years 2 months ago #470764 by Ryan711
:agree:

AMEX in my opinion is the best company to work with.  Customer service is awesome.  They have a number of cards for businesses.   

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470863 by Roy Wilson

J Photo Man wrote: Keep in mind the Amex Platinum card needs to be paid off each month

They do give a small grace period as well though

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470879 by Danny Carson
OMG the AMEX fee is out in left field!  Pass

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024