Total estimated annual cost of owning a website

8 years 2 months ago #470969 by Cory J
I don't have a website and looking to get one set up next month.  Any of you who have a website can tell me what is the estimated total annual cost of owning one?  

thank you

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470971 by KCook
This is going to be a huge range.  Peanuts if it is a DIY site.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 2 months ago #470972 by roberthh
Hi Cory,

I'm owning several websites, it all depends on the data storage.

You can start for $200 for a basic website per year. (Domain registration & hosting)

Cheers,
Robert

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #470978 by H Rocky
And you only rent your domain name with dues each year

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #471069 by plymouthcards
It also depends on what you are using the website for. Will you be showcasing your work in order to obtain new clients or will you also be selling photographs, etc on the site? 
8 years 2 months ago #471143 by MM Images
The canned sites you can pick up for under $40 bucks a year, while if you get your own.  Something like a Wordpress site, Godaddy hosting, you might have hosting that will cost you let's say $8.00 per month.  Domain cost is only $14.95 (for a .com).  If you want to get some of the other extensions, they can run more.  Then unless you know coding you will have to pay a programmer and designer to put your page together for you.  Might  need to have a monthly retainer for upcoming work too.  

Hope this helps.  

Photo Comments
8 years 2 months ago #471313 by Joves
Depends really is this site for business, or pleasure? Are you just looking for a hosting site that all you have to do is load them? Or are you wanting to build your own site? The costs vary widely. All photo hosting sites have tiers that cost more the higher you go.

8 years 2 months ago #471328 by ilh2009ky
About 10-12 years ago, I paid $2000 to a website designer to set up my initial website.  Although I was pleased with the website, the downside was that every time I wanted to add new images, I had to go thru my webmaster which was an additional cost.  I then opted to design my own site using software from my webmaster.  It was extremely tedious where I had to decide the pixel size of thumbnail images, the number of columns and rows, etc.  Fortunately, the evolution of image websites with many format options had rapidly occurred.  So, when I decided to expand my website, I was able to select from several new companies including Zenfolio (which I ultimately chose and have been very satisfied with), SmugMug, Shutterfly's subsidiary (I think the name was Storefront) and a fourth one that I can't remember the name.  Each of these companies offers several levels of membership ranging from basic (just posting images) to posting images with complete order fulfillment.  I pay $140 a year (it's a bit more now for a Business Level website).  Each of these companies has a fulfillment partner and each company offers many site format options.  Most offer free 30 and/or 60 day trials.  Also, you can use another company for registering your domain name for ~$10-$13 each year.  Doing this means that your website domain name doesn't have to include the website hosting company's name.  Zenfolio even provides instructions facilitating this.  So, checkout two or three image website companies, i. e., what they offer, ease of use, fees (including whether or not they allow you to set the prices on your images to your customers), formats, maximum image sizes, etc.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024