Total estimated annual cost of owning a website

8 years 1 month ago #470969 by Cory J
I don't have a website and looking to get one set up next month.  Any of you who have a website can tell me what is the estimated total annual cost of owning one?  

thank you

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #470971 by KCook
This is going to be a huge range.  Peanuts if it is a DIY site.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 1 month ago #470972 by roberthh
Hi Cory,

I'm owning several websites, it all depends on the data storage.

You can start for $200 for a basic website per year. (Domain registration & hosting)

Cheers,
Robert

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #470978 by H Rocky
And you only rent your domain name with dues each year

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #471069 by plymouthcards
It also depends on what you are using the website for. Will you be showcasing your work in order to obtain new clients or will you also be selling photographs, etc on the site? 
8 years 1 month ago #471143 by MM Images
The canned sites you can pick up for under $40 bucks a year, while if you get your own.  Something like a Wordpress site, Godaddy hosting, you might have hosting that will cost you let's say $8.00 per month.  Domain cost is only $14.95 (for a .com).  If you want to get some of the other extensions, they can run more.  Then unless you know coding you will have to pay a programmer and designer to put your page together for you.  Might  need to have a monthly retainer for upcoming work too.  

Hope this helps.  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #471313 by Joves
Depends really is this site for business, or pleasure? Are you just looking for a hosting site that all you have to do is load them? Or are you wanting to build your own site? The costs vary widely. All photo hosting sites have tiers that cost more the higher you go.

8 years 1 month ago #471328 by ilh2009ky
About 10-12 years ago, I paid $2000 to a website designer to set up my initial website.  Although I was pleased with the website, the downside was that every time I wanted to add new images, I had to go thru my webmaster which was an additional cost.  I then opted to design my own site using software from my webmaster.  It was extremely tedious where I had to decide the pixel size of thumbnail images, the number of columns and rows, etc.  Fortunately, the evolution of image websites with many format options had rapidly occurred.  So, when I decided to expand my website, I was able to select from several new companies including Zenfolio (which I ultimately chose and have been very satisfied with), SmugMug, Shutterfly's subsidiary (I think the name was Storefront) and a fourth one that I can't remember the name.  Each of these companies offers several levels of membership ranging from basic (just posting images) to posting images with complete order fulfillment.  I pay $140 a year (it's a bit more now for a Business Level website).  Each of these companies has a fulfillment partner and each company offers many site format options.  Most offer free 30 and/or 60 day trials.  Also, you can use another company for registering your domain name for ~$10-$13 each year.  Doing this means that your website domain name doesn't have to include the website hosting company's name.  Zenfolio even provides instructions facilitating this.  So, checkout two or three image website companies, i. e., what they offer, ease of use, fees (including whether or not they allow you to set the prices on your images to your customers), formats, maximum image sizes, etc.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024