Craigslist sucks. Don't EVER buy used camera gear from CL

4 years 11 months ago #475575 by One Creative Girl
I think we all have had one of those 'made us smarter' moments with a CL seller.  Sorry for your luck here!  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #475608 by Zeberk
You act like this is a big surprise :rofl:

Photo Comments

4 years 11 months ago #476333 by Wendy-Allen
I don't buy used  gear unless it's from members of my Camera Club, I will always go to the photographic shop in town and talk to the photography camera tech guys. I don't trust second hand off internet, you never know if it is a fake or too good to be true. I don't mind if the camera shop is a bit more expensive at least i can get good advise and genuine gear.

4 years 11 months ago #476334 by Screamin Scott
I'm the opposite. I will buy used gear (bought a lot off of eBay) off the internet. Then again, I have been at this hobby since the late 60's & I know my stuff. We don't have any camera shops around here (except Best Buy) & I usually know more than most people working at those stores anyway. I do have KEH about 30 miles away, but they don't have a showroom where you can shop. It's all over the phone or internet with them & I have bought a number of items from them.. As for Craigs List, I've only bought one lens on it. That was from a seller in St Louis. Turns out we grew up near each other in Baltimore. Other than that one lens, everything else was selling for me on CL... Local photo gear prices are over priced, thus I seldom even look at their listings. That sale from St Louis was due to someone on a photo group I was on posting about it.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

4 years 11 months ago #476354 by Joiemagic
I guess I have been very lucky when using Craigslist...   I have bought many items via CL, photography and non-photography alike, and have yet to have a bad experience.  When I have purchased photo related items, I always try it out first...  If I can't try it, I don't want it...  that is just smart buying, no matter where you are purchasing from...  No battery available and "As Is" would definitely raise some flags to me... 

Plus, CL is just the go-between to get a possible sale going...  They are not selling or buying, they are bringing a buyer and seller together...  Anything that happens after the meeting in on the individuals involved, not CL.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon Ixus 185 HS isn't going to wow you with features. But its low price point makes in an attractive option for people that want a small point-and-shoot camera.

Mar 02, 2021

In this Sony ZV-1 review, learn all about its specs, features, build and handling, video performance, price, and more.

Feb 24, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon Ixus 185 HS isn't going to wow you with features. But its low price point makes in an attractive option for people that want a small point-and-shoot camera.

Mar 02, 2021

Buying a camera bag isn't something you should do on a whim. There's a few camera bag questions you should consider so you get the right bag for your needs.

Mar 02, 2021

If you have designs on improving your landscape photography this year, consider these quick and easy tips for getting better results.

Mar 01, 2021

If you're looking for the best drone for real estate photography, we've got three excellent options for any budget.

Mar 01, 2021

Using a softbox for portrait photography will get you more pleasing results with softer, more even light that is much flattering for the portrait subject.

Feb 26, 2021

In this Sony ZV-1 review, learn all about its specs, features, build and handling, video performance, price, and more.

Feb 24, 2021

If you want to try your hand at abstract photography, use these abstract photography ideas for a source of inspiration and creativity.

Feb 24, 2021

Which monitor panel types should you invest in? In this monitor buying guide, learn a few tips for getting the best monitor for photo editing.

Feb 23, 2021