Client just stiffed me out of $1850

8 years 1 month ago #475350 by Joe Peterson
I have a client who just before the holidays (November 17, 2015) had me photograph him and his new finance for 3 days.  He had me follow them around town and taking photos of them at various different locations from city shots, coffee shops, walking down streets, you name.  The type of photos was across the board.  

Last day, he paid the remaining balance with a starter check to Wells Fargo bank.  Check number is #104.    He asked for digital files, so I sent them to him. 

I've been trying to reach this guy since, because the check bounced!  Then I found out the account was closed.  Furthermore, I have just learned he has moved back to Germany!  

I don't understand why people take advantage of others.  Come on, if you can't pay for something, don't waste my time!  What a PITA these past months have been.  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475355 by effron
Essentially, you delivered the product prior to getting paid. That sucks, but it seems this idiot saw you coming. If the money matters, maybe its time to contact a lawyer, bouncing a check is a crime, in Germany or not....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475358 by Joe Peterson
Yeah I know, big learning lesson. Can a lawyer has jurisdiction to someone out of country?  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #475361 by icepics
Don't know what you can do if the client is no longer in the US; I suppose you'd have to consult with a lawyer. Probably depends on if legal costs will be more or less than what you're owed if it would be worth pursuing.

Better to be getting paid before doing shoots, and if you do allow payments make sure the final check clears before sending the photos.

There are business resources for photographers thru http://asmp.org and PPA.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475363 by Joe Peterson
Thank you for the advise.  This has definitely been a learning point.  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475426 by Chris Curran
Germany has tough laws, I would contact an international lawyer out of Germany.  I'd bet this could be cleaned up pretty quick.  They are most likely thinking they are there, and you are here.  When they see you have a lawyer hired in Germany, they will know you mean to collect your money!  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475456 by Roger Lang

Chris Curran wrote: Germany has tough laws, I would contact an international lawyer out of Germany.  I'd bet this could be cleaned up pretty quick.  They are most likely thinking they are there, and you are here.  When they see you have a lawyer hired in Germany, they will know you mean to collect your money!  

Good point :goodpost:

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475469 by Randy Shaw
So if you fly to Germany to kick their butts for stiffing you like this, is that flight tax deductible? :rofl:

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475482 by Joves
You might try searching for the images online. To see if they are using them for anything. Also I would have gotten a hold of the attorney general in your state to see if they did this to others.
I hate to say it, but the best life lessons are learned the hard way. I would never take a starter check, and I would never clear, or send any images until the check cleared. But you know that now. Also in your contract you now need to state that no images will be released until payment is verified.

8 years 1 month ago #475504 by Sarah Ramirez
Unfortunate situation, so sorry! Although hiring an attorney is an option, you'd probably spend more on legal fees than what you'd recoup. Might just have to chalk this one up to ensuring payment clears before you release the goods.

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475515 by plymouthcards

Chris Curran wrote: Germany has tough laws, I would contact an international lawyer out of Germany.  I'd bet this could be cleaned up pretty quick.  They are most likely thinking they are there, and you are here.  When they see you have a lawyer hired in Germany, they will know you mean to collect your money!  

This would definitely be worth a call/email. There may even be an international lawyer in your area that could help. Sorry this happened to you.
8 years 1 month ago #475528 by Tim Burg

Randy Shaw wrote: So if you fly to Germany to kick their butts for stiffing you like this, is that flight tax deductible? :rofl:

Imagine what the tax guy would say at the end of the year!  LOL

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475590 by The Gardener
When it comes to buying on Craigslist, I don't give cash till I have tested what ever it is that I'm buying.  If that isn't possible at time, then I will delay purchase till I can.  Just how it needs to be when you have no verification system in place. 

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475601 by msmith55
Good reason to no longer accept checks, right? Sorry you had to experience this. Not a pleasant feeling at all.

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475655 by Fiesta!
OMG I would be furious!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024