Removing mildew and smoke odor from canvas prints

8 years 1 month ago #475576 by JD Imagery
I have a client who had fire damage in their home and due to the fire department spraying water and the smoke, all their canvas prints were either destroyed or have a very strong mildew and smoke odor to them.  I'm trying to help them out and keep cost down by offering help on preserving the few that are salvageable.  

The rest, I'll be jumping into my hard drives and getting new images printed on canvas for them.  Fortunately, I have been their photographer for many years, and I still have nearly all their lost photos on my backup hard drives or in cloud storage.  

Back to the their canvas that smells of smoke and mildew, is there a way to clean these, remove the smoke with out ruining the prints?  

Thanks in advance!  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475588 by Soccer Mom
Dense smoke that comes from a serious fire like that?  I'd be surprised if you'll be able to flush that out.  I'm clueless on this one.  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475602 by msmith55
As far as the smell goes, try putting the prints in a large plastic tub and sprinkling baking soda around them. Leave them in there for a few weeks and the smell should be much, much better. As for the smoke/soot/water damage...not sure on that one. I know for cigarette smoke there's a solution you can develop using dish soap and distilled water, but not sure that's powerful enough for fire damage. Anyway, hope that helps, and good luck!

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #475612 by Roblane
Man, that is going to be tough bud.  Would scent balls work?  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475622 by cabbot
I've heard that the powder you sprinkle on your carpet to get rid of pet odors works well for removing smoke and mildew smells. Not sure about the soot and other damage. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #475638 by Joves
This is one of those things that is not a DIY thing. You need someone who does actual art restoration. In which case it most likely would be cheaper for them to get them reprinted. Their insurance should cover most of the cost for that.

The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
8 years 1 month ago #475684 by Jim Photo
:agree: 100% agree with Joves, have a professional work on getting that odor out.  It's going to be a PITA and you might as well have a pro deal with it.  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 weeks ago #475946 by Ian Stone
Uphill battle on this one.  I have closes that have gone through a wash and still smell like smoke.  So tough to get out.  Good luck with that.

Photo Comments
8 years 4 weeks ago #475953 by Vahrenkamp

Ian Stone wrote: Uphill battle on this one.  I have closes that have gone through a wash and still smell like smoke.  So tough to get out.  Good luck with that.

My thoughts as well, will be a tough one

Photo Comments
8 years 4 weeks ago #476017 by Flying Pig
Would storing for a few weeks in plastic bag with moth balls work? 

Photo Comments
8 years 4 weeks ago #476020 by Joves
No Flying Pig as I said it will most likely be cheaper to have them reprinted when it comes down to it.

8 years 4 weeks ago #476200 by icepics
I think Dennis (Joves) is probably right. The only thing that came to mind is sometimes with a musty odor you can wrap something in newspaper and keep changing out the paper - but I don't know if that would be good to have newspaper up against a print and it may not work for smoky odor.

I remember when there was major storm damage on the east coast, some time afterwards there were art galleries/museums that had information on restoration. Seems like inkjet prints for the most part couldn't be restored but wet prints done in a lab or darkroom could, but that was from water damage.

Probably reprinting might be the best option.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 3 weeks ago #476234 by Kenta

Joves wrote: No Flying Pig as I said it will most likely be cheaper to have them reprinted when it comes down to it.

Assuming all are still available.  

Photo Comments
8 years 3 weeks ago #476387 by Todd Knight
If you have the images, I would let your clients know they can either spend money on the old shots and trying to remove the smell.  Which realistically I believe would be a waste of $$.  I don't think that odor will come out.  Spend that $$ on new prints and be done with it. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024