Selfie sticks showing up in wedding shots

7 years 11 months ago #479356 by Crazyguy
I shot a wedding yesterday and one of my favorite shots had 3 annoying selfie sticks with cameras attached to them in the air.  2 were moderately easy to remove in Photoshop.  While the last is proving to be a PITA!  

Arrrrr...

BTW are you guys asking people to put away their selfie sticks during your framed up shots?  

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #479384 by J Hemingway
It's either the selfie sticks or hands in the air with iphones and tablets snapping shots.  Just the nature of the jungle these days. 

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #479469 by TCooper
You just need to wait.  Ask the bride and groom ahead of time to let people know you will be shooting and to be respectful.  

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #479489 by Denise Lattimer
I absolutely ask people to put their phones, selfie sticks, etc. away when I'm taking a more formal shot. It's one thing to have some candids from the reception where guests are being silly and have their phone in the shot, but in a framed up shot? No way!

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #479591 by icepics
I know of a photographer who puts it in his contracts and bills for the extra time he spends waiting for guests to stop taking photos and get out of his way. Seems to work pretty well.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #479690 by Carry

icepics wrote: I know of a photographer who puts it in his contracts and bills for the extra time he spends waiting for guests to stop taking photos and get out of his way. Seems to work pretty well.

I would love to see how that is drafted up!  Seems like there would need to be some crafty clauses in that portion of the agreement.  

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #479710 by icepics
I don't know how it was worded in the contracts; he was a experienced portrait/wedding photographer. This seems to be a common enough problem it probably needs to be addressed before the contract is even signed.

I think it was made clear up front that the clients will be billed for the photographers time. And that it's the b&g's responsibility to make sure their guests know when they can/can't take photos (OK thru most of the reception, not during the ceremony or formals after, etc.)

If the photographer stands there waiting for guests to stop waving their phones in the air and in his way trying to get pictures, he waits... and bills for the amount of time it takes to get his job done. If it takes longer because guests and phones are in his way, it's going to cost more.

Usually he said if the b&g realized he's standing there waiting they'd get things moving along and get their guests to put their phones away so he can get their photos done.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #480522 by SuzyM
Selfie sticks at weddings? Why?!? If I was shooting a wedding I would definitely have something in my contract that stipulated I get paid for the extra time I have to spend dealing with stupid things like that, like Icepics suggested.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024