Colors Nikon vs Canon

7 years 11 months ago #480717 by Jackson Rieger
Does one brand over the other have an advantage with colors? A buddy and I had this discussion today and we were going back and forth on this.  Has there been any 3rd party bench marks to validate this one way or another?

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #480746 by KCook
There certainly are differences in the default JPGs.  But which is better is pretty subjective.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 11 months ago #480762 by effron
In any real world experience, have YOU seen a difference? The Nikon vs Canon debate has become long in the tooth and tiresome. BOTH are great systems.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #480768 by IIP-EDU
I am Using Camera : Canon 7D.
A picture during a recent wildlife trip to Dhikala, Jimcorbett National Park .

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #480770 by Shadowfixer1

IIP-EDU wrote: I am Using Camera : Canon 7D.
A picture during a recent wildlife trip to Dhikala, Jimcorbett National Park .

White balance is way too warm for my taste. A very nice capture but it looks better with the proper white balance in my opinion.
7 years 11 months ago #480772 by Screamin Scott
That's something that can be controlled in the menu of the camera for jpegs or in post... Pretty subjective anyway...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #480797 by NickSano
Good topic, just not sure how you would test accurately.  As mentioned each camera can be optimized.  Well, perhaps after that.  Then you would need to have specs close to the same on each.  

Interesting, would be cool to see any scientific data on this.  

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #480819 by Scotty
Nikon has a tendency to over do or mess up yellows/greens, and Canon has a problem with Reds.

You're welcome.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #480830 by KCook

Scotty wrote: Nikon has a tendency to over do or mess up yellows/greens, and Canon has a problem with Reds.

You're welcome.

Canon is notorious for turquoise skies.  Nikon skies appear faintly purple to me (ditto Panasonic).  Skies with my Olympus are fairly neutral, but skin tones can be hot.

rembrandt

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 11 months ago #480837 by Shadowfixer1
Fuji is also bad for turquoise skies. My S2 Pro used to drive me nuts at times. You can't beat a Fuji for skin tone or Black and white. Never had a problem with my Nikon colors. Sometimes the Olympus will over saturate the reds but the skies have always been great.
7 years 11 months ago #480849 by Robert Chen
I don't think it would be noticeable with out pixel peeping on computer

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #480852 by KCook

Robert Chen wrote: I don't think it would be noticeable with out pixel peeping on computer

Exactly the opposite.  JPG color tones are the one thing that does not require pixel peeping.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #480929 by Joves

KCook wrote:

Scotty wrote: Nikon has a tendency to over do or mess up yellows/greens, and Canon has a problem with Reds.

You're welcome.

Canon is notorious for turquoise skies.  Nikon skies appear faintly purple to me (ditto Panasonic).  Skies with my Olympus are fairly neutral, but skin tones can be hot.

rembrandt

I do not know about that. I have never had any really off colored skies with any of my Nikon cameras so far. The only time I have had false color in the sky is when I had a brain fart, and had the CP maxed out. Then the skies were too blue to the extent of looking over saturated. Now that may not be true if you are shooting in one of the modes other than M. But since I have not used one since my D80 I do not know. The only other time I got strange coloration of skies is when shooting in the Winslow Az area. But that is because the Painted Desert gives off a strange hue to the clouds from reflected light.
On the subject each have their own pluses, and minuses when it comes to how they handle color. Anyone claiming that any brand is superior in any aspect is just wanting to be contentious. Well in my opinion.
Also I will note that for my D300 to get a true purple, I find that I have to under expose it by up to 2 full stops. Also a CP does seem to help, and I am thinking I will try seeing if my B-Polarizer helps. But I do see it as a problem with the way they wrote the algorithms for the red channel. Otherwise most deep purples are bluish, and as always it depends on the light, or lack thereof as well.
Sky example: Using Fisheye so no polarizer.

Attachments:
7 years 11 months ago #480979 by KCook
I wus talking about default JPG shots with AutoWB.  RAW makes color comparisons pretty pointless.  Funky CP colors are why I hardly ever use the darn things.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 11 months ago #481080 by Fess Walker
Assuming you had a monitor all dialed in with Spyder software, I'm wondering if you could use the software to detect color differences from one photo taken with a Nikon camera, to a photo taken with a Canon equivalent?   

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024