Got kicked off Santa Monica pier over the weekend

7 years 10 months ago #481116 by Frost Photography
I was photographing people fishing off the pier  in Santa Monica and was asked to put away my camera.  Correct me if I'm wrong, piers are public space and should be okay to photograph on.  Right?  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #481118 by effron
Yup. However, if I was asked to NOT photograph people, even in a public place, I would have complied. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #481128 by icepics
Asked by who? someone who works there? or another visitor?

If you look up a place before you go then you could find out if you can or can't take pictures, and what are the policies. Then you'd be informed if you're approached about taking photos.
http://santamonicapier.org/join/

http://santamonicapier.org/wp-content/themes/sm-pier/docs/events_film-guide.pdf

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #481129 by SuzyM

icepics wrote: Asked by who? someone who works there? or another visitor?

That was my question exactly!

7 years 10 months ago #481131 by Glenn Gee
Seems to me you were well within your rights to be there taking pictures. I had a look at the links that icepics posted and it does say that a permit is required if your photos are for commercial purposes, but if you're just there taking photos you should have been able to hang out and do that.

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #481160 by Little Kate
If public space and wasn't a police officer, was it a private person or ?? asked you to not take photos? 

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #481236 by KCook

effron wrote: Yup. However, if I was asked to NOT photograph people, even in a public place, I would have complied. 

Yup.  Or at least try to be more casual in how I'm shooting.  Street cameras are inconspicuous for a reason.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 10 months ago #481241 by cabbot
This seems to be happening more and more, with people demanding that photographers cease and desist. What gives? Are photographers being jerks about it, or are property owners/public persons being overly sensitive? Or something else entirely??

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #481334 by KZAM
Over the years, I've been asked to leave many locations that I was photographing.  Regardless of who is asking, good practices is always to respect those who you might have been photographing.  Now this doesn't mean you need to be a push over, however just use good judgement.  

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #481336 by effron
What gives?.....Hmmm, maybe a feeling of privacy violation trumps a constitutional right? Why push peoples' buttons for a "picture"?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483267 by Stic
It's not that simple though. The very same freedom people in public are enjoying is the same freedom you are enjoying while photographing in public.

I was stopped by the police once and asked what I was doing...'I'm taking photos' was my answer. The officer politely suggested that I stop and move on, I declined and continued to take photos as I was well within my rights and was not offending anyone, or getting in anyone's 'face'...

I was using a 100-400, so most of my subjects were not even aware I was taking photos. The cop probably only noticed because of the white lens...

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483268 by Stic
I should also point out the irony of the situation too, the area I was photographing was a large square in the middle of the city which was under 24 hour CCTV surveillance...

Hardly an expectation of privacy there...

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024