Got kicked off Santa Monica pier over the weekend

7 years 11 months ago #481116 by Frost Photography
I was photographing people fishing off the pier  in Santa Monica and was asked to put away my camera.  Correct me if I'm wrong, piers are public space and should be okay to photograph on.  Right?  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481118 by effron
Yup. However, if I was asked to NOT photograph people, even in a public place, I would have complied. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481128 by icepics
Asked by who? someone who works there? or another visitor?

If you look up a place before you go then you could find out if you can or can't take pictures, and what are the policies. Then you'd be informed if you're approached about taking photos.
http://santamonicapier.org/join/

http://santamonicapier.org/wp-content/themes/sm-pier/docs/events_film-guide.pdf

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481129 by SuzyM

icepics wrote: Asked by who? someone who works there? or another visitor?

That was my question exactly!

7 years 11 months ago #481131 by Glenn Gee
Seems to me you were well within your rights to be there taking pictures. I had a look at the links that icepics posted and it does say that a permit is required if your photos are for commercial purposes, but if you're just there taking photos you should have been able to hang out and do that.

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481160 by Little Kate
If public space and wasn't a police officer, was it a private person or ?? asked you to not take photos? 

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481236 by KCook

effron wrote: Yup. However, if I was asked to NOT photograph people, even in a public place, I would have complied. 

Yup.  Or at least try to be more casual in how I'm shooting.  Street cameras are inconspicuous for a reason.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 11 months ago #481241 by cabbot
This seems to be happening more and more, with people demanding that photographers cease and desist. What gives? Are photographers being jerks about it, or are property owners/public persons being overly sensitive? Or something else entirely??

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481334 by KZAM
Over the years, I've been asked to leave many locations that I was photographing.  Regardless of who is asking, good practices is always to respect those who you might have been photographing.  Now this doesn't mean you need to be a push over, however just use good judgement.  

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #481336 by effron
What gives?.....Hmmm, maybe a feeling of privacy violation trumps a constitutional right? Why push peoples' buttons for a "picture"?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483267 by Stic
It's not that simple though. The very same freedom people in public are enjoying is the same freedom you are enjoying while photographing in public.

I was stopped by the police once and asked what I was doing...'I'm taking photos' was my answer. The officer politely suggested that I stop and move on, I declined and continued to take photos as I was well within my rights and was not offending anyone, or getting in anyone's 'face'...

I was using a 100-400, so most of my subjects were not even aware I was taking photos. The cop probably only noticed because of the white lens...

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483268 by Stic
I should also point out the irony of the situation too, the area I was photographing was a large square in the middle of the city which was under 24 hour CCTV surveillance...

Hardly an expectation of privacy there...

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024