Abe's of Maine legit camera store?

4 years 7 months ago #657497 by Chris Banner
I was just reading their return policy, am I understanding this correctly:  If I don't like this and return it, I will pay 30% total between shipping fee of 15% and another 15% restocking fee?

"In the event you are not satisfied with your purchase, we will gladly help you exchange or return your product. Please call our toll free number 800 992 2237 EXT 2 for a Return Authorization Merchandise (RMA) number. All products must be in new condition, with all original packaging and accessories. UPC codes must be intact and rebate forms unfilled. No return will be accepted without a return authorization number.Within 14 days of confirmed receipt of delivery you may return any unopened or unused product in its original packaging for a refund less 15% less shipping fee incurred when the item was shipped out to you. Any order that is refused is subject to 15% restocking fee and shipping charges both ways. If any items shows visible signs of damage, missing or used accessories  will be returned back to you and not acceptted back for a refund or credit. Merchandise can be returned only if in original manufacturer's packaging in the same condition as sold, including all literature/instructions/documentation and all supplied accessories. If rebate forms are filled, items cannot be returned for an exchange or refund. Place the manufacturer's box into a shipping carton. Please do not place stickers or shipping labels on the original manufacturer's package. Please do not mark the original manufacturer's box with any writing. Ship to us pre-paid. Be sure to write you return authorization number on the outside box. For your protection insure the package and ship via a traceable method. Abe's of Maine is not responsible for lost or damaged packages. A refund will be issued to the original credit card or the original form of payment."

Plus they have spelling error on this page to.  Can you spot it?  

4 years 7 months ago #657512 by garyrhook
If one reads this entire thread carefully, one can only come to the conclusion that Abe's is not a legitimate dealer, either by breaking down kits to sell pieces individually, or by offering gray market products.

One also wonders why one is concerned with returns. In the event of a lemon, returns should not cost the buyer anything. In the event of "I'm not sure I want this product," one might consider renting first to ensure satisfaction.

If you want a camera, decide, then buy from a reputable dealer (which would not be Abe's) . Or take the risk on never needing a repair and buy gray market. You don't get something for nothing.

I would council committing first, and dispense with concerns over return policies.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657515 by Chris Banner
Who hasn't been tempted by the apple??  

It wasn't till after I made the post, that I started noticing other things that popped out.  I found this thread on Google and just responded in it more to understand how was this possible.  Personally I thought when you have a grey market item, you need to disclose it.  This ad of theirs mentions nothing of it. 

4 years 7 months ago #657617 by effron
Be careful, when they say "body only", its likely exactly what they mean. It also doesn't say "new", could be a refurb....
Why not just stick with the dependable sellers like B&H, or Adorama?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657638 by CharleyL
I've recently (January 2019) had good dealings with 33rd Street Camera, a similar type store, but selling through Amazon. I placed my order through Amazon and a speedlite in the order was defective on arrival, so they quickly sent me a replacement. When it too proved defective on arrival, they discovered that they had a whole batch of that brand and model that were defective, and sent me a considerably upgraded Brand and Model. Absolutely no hassle, and just apologies from them. I'll be buying from them again.

I bought from Abe's of Maine (actually located in Brooklyn) about 20 years ago and got talked into a spare camera battery, for about 3X what I could have bought one for elsewhere, and it was an off brand battery and not the Camera brand when it arrived. I won't be buying from them again . My order was for about $1,600,

Charley. 

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #657650 by garyrhook

Chris Banner wrote: Who hasn't been tempted by the apple?? 

Understood. I'll counter with, "if it seems to good to be true, it is."

It wasn't till after I made the post, that I started noticing other things that popped out.  I found this thread on Google and just responded in it more to understand how was this possible.  Personally I thought when you have a grey market item, you need to disclose it.  This ad of theirs mentions nothing of it. 

Reputable dealers will disclose all information. Another point for "disreputable".

Found this:

https://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/get-consumer-help/articles/gray-market-goods/

Nowhere does it say (quick perusal, to be fair) that the seller must point out the that goods are gray market. I do trust the BBB.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657658 by Roman Omell
"Items manufactured abroad and imported into the US without the consent of the trademark holder" - how can a company be in business when doing this?  In the clear case with Abe's, would Nikon or Canon still consider them as an authorized seller?  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657673 by Miss Polly
They probably aren't authorized

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657733 by garyrhook

Roman Omell wrote: "Items manufactured abroad and imported into the US without the consent of the trademark holder" - how can a company be in business when doing this?  In the clear case with Abe's, would Nikon or Canon still consider them as an authorized seller?  

Note: B&H offers gray market products. It's not illegal. But it probably is illegal for a manufacturer to try to tell a vendor how to run their business. Just a guess: it would likely come down to the government telling (e.g.) Canon, "you either accept that the seller may run their business how they see fit, or you don't do business in the US, period." I don't think Nikon or Canon lose a thing here. They sell a product where the consumer either has no warranty, or a warranty that is very difficult to take advantage of, or they sell regular products. Seems win-win to me. Just a guess, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657749 by Miss Polly
Hi Gary,

If that being the case with B&H, why do you not see the same huge pricing difference?  Use the Canon EOS R that someone just referenced a moment ago as example.  

:) 

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657777 by garyrhook

Miss Polly wrote: Hi Gary,

If that being the case with B&H, why do you not see the same huge pricing difference?  Use the Canon EOS R that someone just referenced a moment ago as example.  

:) 

I'm afraid I don't understand your point. The referenced body (at Abe's) is $1589. On Amazon an EOS R runs $1999. That's not a huge price difference?

From what i can see, B&H doesn't offer a gray market EOS R. Those are legitimate prices, and oddly enough, they match Amazon.

Canon and Nikon don't allow vendors to lower prices on legitmate, US merchandise. Any sales are dictated by Canon and Nikon. Any price that is lower than what you find anywhere else is going to be not legit (bait and switch?) or gray market.

How Canon and Nikon aren't price fixing is beyond me. But that's a different discussion.

Unless I'm just not following... which is possible.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #668528 by tangogal
They are scammers. I would not even give them one star if that was an option. They offered a "sale" price on a Canon lens. Then called and said it was a gray market lens and I had to pay $180 more for a US warranty lens. Then shipped me the international lens. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE CROOKS!

4 years 4 months ago #668535 by effron
Bait and switch. They are in Brooklyn as well, NOT in Maine.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #668588 by Luca
Did they start in Maine?  I wonder what is the deal with that.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #668592 by effron
The original owner sold out years ago, to a Brooklyn company. They've fooled many.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024