Canon iP 100 printer and Pro 9000 MKII

7 years 10 months ago #483581 by Don Fischer
I've had mine for two or three years now and love it. Goes with me to the dog trials I go to. I was making some business cards last week and my  Pro 9000 MKII ran out of an ink color I didn't have on hand so though I was stuck until I could get one. Ordered it from B&H, other wise it's a 150 mi round trip to get it!

Well got me to looking closer at my iP 100 and it does have custom setting on it! The only printer I've ever seen with that before is my Pro 9000 MKII. They came out great!

I know those all in one color cartridge's are more expensive than individuals but for what I use my iP 100 for it just doesn't make the first bit of difference to me.

I have been fooling with my 13" making different panoramic photo's with dog's in them. Actually I make them twice as wide as tall;4x8, 5x10 on up to 9x18 on my 13"! I found out about them with my iP 100, it has that as a reg photo and boy did I like it. Now I can do all the was to 5x10 in that little thing. Maybe even more depending on how long paper I can use. Canon say's my Pro 9000 MKII using the front feed can do up to 14x26! haven tried it yet. onna get a piece of 13 wide paper that's long enough one of these days and try it. If it work's it would be awesome!

Here's a photo of my Stormy done about like that. Picasa does it for me right, this might be a bit off. The top one is twice as wide crop. The bottom is uncropped

Attachments:
7 years 10 months ago #483587 by Robert Chen
Beautiful dogs. Did I understand you correctly, you bring the Pro 9000 out with you to the shows?  I ask because that's a good size printer correct?  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483591 by Don Fischer
Yes I did until I got my iP 100. I have an enclosed trailer set up to handle it and room to do even framing inside it. Your right, it is good sized.

7 years 10 months ago #483681 by MYoung
Does the print quality of that ip 100 come close to the Pro 9000?

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483711 by Don Fischer
I don't think I'm qualified to answer that but, I can't fault the iP 100 at all. To me, there's no difference.

7 years 10 months ago #483770 by MM Images
Know of any good deals on a Pro 9000?

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483803 by Don Fischer
I don't. The Pro 9000/9000 MKII are probably discontinued now. Wouldn't bother me to just pick another 13" Canon. I've had better luck with Canon by far than HP or Epson.

7 years 10 months ago #483897 by KenMan
You can find them still for sale on Amazon and a few other sites.  That Canon iP 100 looks pretty good, how is the ink consumption on it?  Cost to replace?  

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483932 by Don Fischer
I figured out what the Pro 9000 used and came up with .01 per sq in. Red River Paper got .009 per sq in. Never tried it with the iP 100. Probably pretty easy though. Has to be more expensive as you end up throwing ink away. but weighed against what it does for me, cost doesn't matter. Recently finding out about the custom sizing for print's just made it that much better. I did run a bunch of 8 x 10 prints through it one time when the low ink alarm showed and, though I don't remember, was amazed how many I got after it turned on. I have found that with it and the 9000, keep printing until the mty ink stops the computer. If you don't, even with individual tank's you end up throwing away a lot of ink. Better a bit of ink and piece of paper!

7 years 10 months ago #483972 by Carol W
Your supposed to use Canon ink only in those printers correct? 

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483984 by Don Fischer
No. I tried an after market ink and it did alright but the printer, iP 100, didn't know when the ink was out until the printer just stopped. It was less expensive but I somehow had the feeling it ran out way to soon. I though about it and I wasn't saving all that much money as I never believed ink was all that expensive in the first place. I forget how I figured it but I did on my 9000 and came out to a penny a sq inch. Red River tested it and they got nine tenth's of a penny. if a penny a sq inch is to expensive, I got a lot more problem's than ink!

7 years 10 months ago #484056 by Otto F
I was bidding on a used Pro 9000 last month on Ebay, lost it last minute!  

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484064 by Don Fischer
I love mine but in time it's gonna need replaced, no getting around that. As inexpensively as I can get 13" Canon printer's I'd get something else next time unless I got a super deal on another 9000.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024