Do you travel with all your gear?

7 years 10 months ago #483690 by Scotty

Alex wrote: I had the opportunity to speak with a new PT member today "John C." who is heading up to his cabin with family and fishing in Colorado this week.  Sounds like fun right?!  

This had me thinking about our upcoming trip to Hawaii.  And for some reason I started to chuckle about how much gear I use to carry with me while traveling.  And these weren't for gigs, I'm talking just vacations.  Man, I would bring just about everything I could.  My Think Tank Airport Security would be FULL, and when I say full... I mean you couldn't fit another micro fiber cloth in it!  LOL.   Oh, and the kicker?  I can remember MANY (who am I kidding, MOST) trips, where nothing but one camera, and one lens got used.  

While other trips, I felt obligated to use a flash, or one of a half dozen other lenses, or what ever that was in there.  Just so I mentally could say,... heck... "I used stuff".  As if to sell my self that I really needed to break my back lugging all this stuff with me.  

Fast forward to today.  Stream line and lean and mean.  Our upcoming Hawaii trip, I'm bringing one camera: Sony A6300 and two lenses.  That is it!  LOL.. don't ask me on which lenses I'm bringing.  

I've shared my story, do you have a similar history with what you bring with you today vs 5 or 10 years ago? 

Post up, let's hear your story!  

I usually know what i'm trying to accomplish and only bring the right tools for the job.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483692 by Screamin Scott
Wife & I will be headed to Hawaii also come September. Our nephew & his wife just got back from Kauai last week. He shoots Canon & while he took 6 lenses for his Canon EOS 5D Mark III, he only used 3. That is what I was thinking of taking, covering from 17 to 200mm. I was going to take my Olympus OM D-M10, but I've only got base lenses for it & few accessories (like CPL & ND filters). They are back in Southern California now where he has a photo business (In the Barrel Photography)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483693 by Alex

Scotty wrote:

Alex wrote: I had the opportunity to speak with a new PT member today "John C." who is heading up to his cabin with family and fishing in Colorado this week.  Sounds like fun right?!  

This had me thinking about our upcoming trip to Hawaii.  And for some reason I started to chuckle about how much gear I use to carry with me while traveling.  And these weren't for gigs, I'm talking just vacations.  Man, I would bring just about everything I could.  My Think Tank Airport Security would be FULL, and when I say full... I mean you couldn't fit another micro fiber cloth in it!  LOL.   Oh, and the kicker?  I can remember MANY (who am I kidding, MOST) trips, where nothing but one camera, and one lens got used.  

While other trips, I felt obligated to use a flash, or one of a half dozen other lenses, or what ever that was in there.  Just so I mentally could say,... heck... "I used stuff".  As if to sell my self that I really needed to break my back lugging all this stuff with me.  

Fast forward to today.  Stream line and lean and mean.  Our upcoming Hawaii trip, I'm bringing one camera: Sony A6300 and two lenses.  That is it!  LOL.. don't ask me on which lenses I'm bringing.  

I've shared my story, do you have a similar history with what you bring with you today vs 5 or 10 years ago? 

I usually know what i'm trying to accomplish and only bring the right tools for the job.

Scotty, Scotty... come on bud.  You just gave the perfect answer of what you SHOULD do.  Have you ever brought more gear than that you needed on a vacation?  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483694 by Alex

Screamin Scott wrote: Wife & I will be headed to Hawaii also come September. Our nephew & his wife just got back from Kauai last week. He shoots Canon & while he took 6 lenses for his Canon EOS 5D Mark III, he only used 3. That is what I was thinking of taking, covering from 17 to 200mm. I was going to take my Olympus OM D-M10, but I've only got base lenses for it & few accessories (like CPL & ND filters). They are back in Southern California now where he has a photo business (In the Barrel Photography)

Hey Scott... you going to be in So Cal any time soon?

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483695 by Screamin Scott
My wife & I will likely stop over on our way to Hawaii in September. My Sister in Law & her husband will be moving to Carlsbad in July/August. They just closed on a condo out there this month. Gonna be different visiting them out there as opposed to South Florida.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483709 by Alexander M
Camera body and usually 2-3 lenses and one flash 

7 years 10 months ago #483715 by Joslyn
When I first got started I would bring all my stuff with me.  I have to say, I'm pretty much the same these days.  I bring the bare minimum.  

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483719 by Randy Shaw
1 body + 1 lens, that is all I bring with me.  

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483724 by KCook
As the years run down, I travel less.  Thus pack more gear than ever.  As each visit is very likely my last visit to that location.

ohwell

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 10 months ago #483725 by DacrimL
As at this point in time I only have the 1 camera body and 4 lens, so I guess I would still take all with me. 

However I do need to invest in a new tripod as my last one just broke.

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #483728 by effron
I learned the hard way, usually packing a half ton of gear I never used. Now, a body and a couple zooms if planning to fly then hike, much more gear if driving....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483827 by Sarah Ramirez
Not even close! One body and a couple of lenses is all for me.

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483828 by Scotty

Alex wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Scotty, Scotty... come on bud.  You just gave the perfect answer of what you SHOULD do.  Have you ever brought more gear than that you needed on a vacation?  

Not that I can remember. :kmonst:   

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483857 by John Landolfi
As you have undoubtedly noticed, the airlines are using luggage weight to get more money out of us, especially on international flights. Returning from Paris, they (Air France) gouged me by springing a requirement to weigh my carry-ons- both of them, and demanding payment if I didn't want one of them to go steerage. That's a deterrent to heavy packing from now on...No more taking my pet lenses along, just in case...:rofl:

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483871 by Nathan D
Depends on where I'm going and how long

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024

In the great Canon R6 vs R6 Mark II, which one is best? Is it the original, groundbreaking R6 or the mildly updated and newer R6 Mark II? Let’s dive in and find out!

Apr 03, 2024