Noise Bad and Grain Sometimes Good?

7 years 9 months ago #488487 by 100ISOman
So I just researched that noise and grain have different causes as they are from different kinds of technology, but I'm curious, if I had to choose one of these artifacts in my photo, is grain always technically a better choice over noise? Does digital camera noise look worst/different than film grain?

I have a digital camera (5D MKII) and I found that when I compared the same shot and exposure levels with ISO 100 and 6400 being the only difference, the ISO 6400 picture actually looked pretty kool and just had a subtle grittiness to it. But maybe if I want that look, I'm better off adding it in photoshop by choosing the grain texture filter? 

7 years 9 months ago #488524 by Hassner
I do not quite understand.
Do you want to add a grittiness to your digital images?
The aim of most photos is to catch as much detail as possible in the image.
Therefore the noise "correcting" software.
This is one of the advantages of digital over film.
With film you were stuck with the grain in the shot.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #488549 by Gus
I think it comes down to personal taste. I like the grittiness achieved in camera so when I want that look, that's what I do. Maybe give both a shot and see what tickles your fancy.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: 100ISOman
7 years 9 months ago #488559 by Jerrid
Different causes, but look the same IMO.  

You can create this effect in post too.   

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #488579 by 100ISOman
Yeah I want to add grittiness but I was wondering if it were better to choose grain textures in photoshop or to simply stick with a noisy picture taken at a high ISO. I wanted to know if there was a difference in appearance between grain and digital noise.

7 years 9 months ago #488581 by 100ISOman
Interesting, relatively the same eh? Well I'll try both. I think with photoshop you can actually see very subtle, almost invisible square areas where the grain pattern repeats! Not sure if that's how it should look in the real world, but I'm sure the actual grains in that texture look real.

7 years 9 months ago #488599 by Ontherocks

100ISOman wrote: Yeah I want to add grittiness but I was wondering if it were better to choose grain textures in photoshop or to simply stick with a noisy picture taken at a high ISO. I wanted to know if there was a difference in appearance between grain and digital noise.

Visually, they both look very similiar

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #491015 by srubio77
When it comes to whether digital noise is acceptable or on par with film grain is a matter of personal taste. I prefer to add noise in post and capture as much detail as possible in my initial shots. One bothersome part about a noisy photograph is the color of "color noise" (when you have discolored pixels throughout your image). This picture that I found on google illustrates what I mean pretty well. To me, it's much less appealing than the grittiness you get with film grain.

www.photocascadia.com/blog/wp-content/up...03/8_Color-Noise.png

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024