to start

7 years 9 months ago #489224 by mokairish
Hi

I would like to know what the best camera to use when i am starting as a newbie in photography.

Before starting the modules in photography, would it be of great benefit to learn photography skills first?

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489248 by effron
Second question first. Yes. As for a camera, you need to visit a seller and handle the product. Any setup, any cost dslr and any make should do well as a starter kit....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489250 by Chris Yates
This might be a little bit old school of me, but I teach darkroom photography at a high school and stand by the notion that film is the best way to learn the medium (if you have the time and resources, that is). It really forces you to slow down and think about your settings as well as consider the composition and elements of your image.

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489290 by Neillien
I think learning about photography goes hand in hand with making your first serious camera purchase. I suggest the Canon Rebel. It's a reasonably priced DSLR that allows you to experiment with lenses and even video if you so choose.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: mokairish
7 years 9 months ago #489327 by Lavender Photo
My current assistant is learning the ropes of photography and uses a Nikon D3300. I believe that it's the Nikon equivalent to the Rebel neillien mentioned more or less. It certainly gets the job done!

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489331 by Stic
I'm gonna be a little harsh, please excuse me...

Firstly, you're very lucky to be coming to photography after the advent of digital...

...if only viewing the image the instant after you take it had been an option when I started...anyway...

I would suggest you don't buy a camera at all. I would recommend you borrow one or loan one first.

...and this is where the 'harsh' comes in...you could go buy a camera, and find out that, despite a desire to become a photographer, you just don't have that 'eye' that photographers have and can't compose a photo to save yourself...

While I hope this isn't true in your case, it would be beneficial if it is, to have merely loaned a camera and found this out, rather than to have just spent good money on a camera...

I say this as, over the years, I've met a lot of people who think photography is actually about the camera (and that the more sophisticated, the better the images), whilst forgetting that actually, the photographer composes the image in their head and then takes it with the camera.

No point spending money on a camera before finding out if you can do this...

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489332 by KCook
For handheld shooting I prefer mirrorless, DSLR for the studio.  Dunno whether that will make much difference for your particular classes.  Ask the instructor.  Links for various opinions -

What's the big deal behind debate on camera frame size? 

$3800 to spend on camera and lenses 

Gone for 11 years, now back and need help picking photo gear

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 9 months ago #489337 by PhotoViking

Chris Yates wrote: slow down and think about your settings as well as consider the composition and elements of your image.

Exactly: Composition and elements; thats the difference between snapshots and good photography.  
Nobody is going to look at your photos and say: "Boah, shot with a $ 3.000 camera.

Start of with a relatively price worthy DSLR (they are all good) and then concentrate on the basics; composition and elements.

Then practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, .................... B)

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489437 by cabbot
I started with a Pentax KS2 and I love it. Great little camera to begin with. As others have said, just about any entry-level DSLR or mirrorless will do. No sense in dropping thousands of dollars on a bigger camera when you don't need one at this point.

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #491014 by srubio77

Neillien wrote: I think learning about photography goes hand in hand with making your first serious camera purchase. I suggest the Canon Rebel. It's a reasonably priced DSLR that allows you to experiment with lenses and even video if you so choose.

Agree. Don't know much about Nikon, but I've used Canon products for quite some time and I can confirm that the Rebel is a solid choice for beginners.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024