Dumbell Nebula with a 70-200mm and a 2x teleconverter?

7 years 8 months ago #489789 by Stanly
And I'll be shooting with an D80, so I have the 1.5x crop going on.  Can you get any detail from shooting any Nebula's?  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489831 by effron
Not without a telescope and equatorial mount or the like....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489878 by KCook

effron wrote: Not without a telescope and equatorial mount or the like....

Plus a very dark sky!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: effron
7 years 8 months ago #489888 by Jackson Rieger
:agree:  This nebula is something like 1,350 light years away from Earth.  You'll need a good telescope to see that.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490113 by Garbo
Wouldn't that be great if that was the case.  As mentioned, you'll need I'm guess around a 80 to 100mm refractor telescope to see something like this. 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490137 by Zach Mosher
I have a question, how do you attach a camera to a telescope.  When a camera is attached to the telescope, is the eye piece removed?

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490148 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 8 months ago #490192 by Street Shark
Kcook, are you into astrophotography too?

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490214 by KCook

Street Shark wrote: Kcook, are you into astrophotography too?

Back at the dawn of time, yes.  Then it was my job for several years.  Then I moved on to other forms of madness such as landscape photography.

rambler

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 8 months ago #490215 by astrodave
OK here's a couple things on the topic. You can shoot the dumbbell (M27) but you will have to track the shot. With a 200mm and a 2x you are going to be shooting at f4+ depending on which lens you have. This is not a one shot object. You will need a couple hours of exposure as a minimum at f5ish. Take 1-3 minute individual shots and combine them with a stacking program.

One way to get way more luminance data to combine with the shot is a Hydrogen Alpha filter (probably about 12nm would be perfect) that you can stick in the camera. This would be huge for excellent detail but it will need a couple hours of exposure to. 

I'll stick up some of my astro shots and if you have questions just let me know.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
7 years 8 months ago #490222 by astrodave

Stanly wrote: And I'll be shooting with an D80, so I have the 1.5x crop going on.  Can you get any detail from shooting any Nebula's?  

I'd recommend NGC 7000 North America Nebula and it would include the nearby Pelican Nebula. They are both bright enough that a 3 minute individual shot would be very pretty. I'd also skip the 2x as with a crop sensor you are almost at 300mm which is not bad. Also much more forgiving of poor tracking / bad polar alignment than 600mm would be.

The link shows what the area looks like (not my photo) 

www.petergarbett.com/DeepSky/22c2ac50.jpg

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490229 by I shoot RAW

astrodave wrote: OK here's a couple things on the topic. You can shoot the dumbbell (M27) but you will have to track the shot. With a 200mm and a 2x you are going to be shooting at f4+ depending on which lens you have. This is not a one shot object. You will need a couple hours of exposure as a minimum at f5ish. Take 1-3 minute individual shots and combine them with a stacking program.

One way to get way more luminance data to combine with the shot is a Hydrogen Alpha filter (probably about 12nm would be perfect) that you can stick in the camera. This would be huge for excellent detail but it will need a couple hours of exposure to. 

I'll stick up some of my astro shots and if you have questions just let me know.

I'm so motived.  Now I thought the hydro alpha filter was for shooting into the sun?

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490274 by Tim Dordeck
You get used to shooting beautiful things close to earth that you forget there  is so much incredible beauty in the sky

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #490373 by astrodave
No HA filters give you a look at Hydrogen Alpha emissions and really really nice B&W images.

In astrophotography (deep space) we use these as a Luminance layer to add detail.

The attachment is HA of the Rosette Nebula

Photo Comments
Attachments:
7 years 8 months ago #490376 by Conner
Hey Dave, how did you learn astrophotography? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024