First angry client :(

7 years 8 months ago #489913 by Chantel Nasbur
Well my day started off poorly.  I had a portrait session with a young couple.  The photos turned about amazing.  I shared with them from the start for the price they are paying, they would get roughly 50-60 finished images.  They got 57.  The loved the photos.  Then, she asks "where are the other photos?"

What photos I asked.

"The rest that you took that day".  

I told her those were doubles, not the best shots.  Long story, short, she was mad and now threatening me to leave a bad review on Yelp.  OMG  this is horrible.  

I'm hoping for some words of wisdom or encouragement right about now.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489924 by effron
What did you expect? You now know to be up front with them, tell a prospect you cull and delete from the get go.....If you actually led them to believe there are more shots you haven't delivered, blame yourself.....Also, prepare for the old adage, "you can't please them all".....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489925 by Chantel Nasbur
Not the case, I did tell them that.  I tell all my clients, matter of fact it's in my contact!  That's why I'm so disturbed here.  They knew that from the start and yet acted this way.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489938 by effron
Non issue then, you have no more shots to share, right?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489951 by PhotoViking
My guess: They are trying to intimidate you.
Most likely they are hoping for you to offer money back to avoid negative comments......

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489973 by Camera Diva
If you have it outlined in your contact, your covered.  You can sue them for defamation if they post a false review.  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #489977 by Lavender Photo
I second the comment being covered by your contract. Nevertheless, I'm sorry that you're going through this. It's really stressful, but it happens to the best of us. You'll get through this!

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490122 by ilh2009ky
I assume you had a written contract with the deliverables specified and requiring a 50% deposit before any shooting?  Also, don;t worry about Yelp.  Everyone knows that their reviews can be somewhat suspect.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

7 years 8 months ago #490123 by icepics
You probably need to think thru your procedures and be prepared for how you'll handle questions and concerns.

I find it can help to refer people back to what was signed, or have a copy handy of what they were given as a reminder, etc. Phrasing it in a way that reminds them they paid for #___ images might be better than asking 'what photos?'. You're providing a finished product, which wouldn't include photos that may have some movement blur, or a subject with eyes closed, etc., so think about if that seems appropriate to say to them.

I think what's happening these days is people are taking so many photos that clients can't help but realize the camera's going off a lot and they aren't getting nearly that many photos. Think about how many photos you take - 50+ seems a lot to give them for one session, consider how many do they really need to choose from? how long does a session need to be?

Maybe in this case they're trying to get a refund, or want a discount, who knows. I'd be inclined to tell someone to leave whatever feedback they feel is appropriate. It helps to speak calmly and stay professional even when you are getting annoyed or upset.

I doubt it's going to be worth the expense of a lawyer for what you could get going to court for someone leaving negative feedback; I think there would need to be more to it than that to be considered defamation. If you see the negative feedback, you could respond by saying as clients they were provided the number of photos contracted and expressed being pleased with the quality, etc.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhotoViking
7 years 8 months ago #490152 by Karen Comella
You can't please everyone.  If you have this in your contract and did inform them, then your good.  Stand ground. 

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490662 by Sarah Ramirez
I've been in a similar situation, and all I can say is that as bad as you feel and as ominous as the situation seems, it will blow over and you will continue moving forward and growing your business. All of us have had moments with asinine clients that pull stunts like this, and the key is to trust your stuff (especially your contract) and know that if they leave you a bad review or badmouth you on social media that you do have recourse, as someone mentioned in another posting.

You did nothing wrong here, and though we strive to please everyone, sometimes, that's impossible. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself (in a calm and respectful manner of course) and simply direct their attention to the contract they signed, perhaps with the part about culling the images highlighted. My guess is if you do that they will back down.

Good luck. Tomorrow will be a better day! :)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024