Astrophotography set up

7 years 8 months ago #490300 by Robert Hardy
I came across this good video that shows a basic set up for starting up.  Was helpful to me.  Hope it is to you too!

This guy has Explore Scientific 80mm telescope and Sky-Watcher mount and well the rest you'll need to watch the video.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490307 by Silver Fox
Good click, just to show you don't need the biggest gear to get into taking amazing photos of the sky.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490310 by effron
Astrophotography can be done with basic gear, deep sky photography is another genre. Its all good though....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490323 by Flash Steven
:agree:  when you are ready, jump into a workshop or attend a monthly meeting that many astrophotography groups hold.  

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490369 by neal1977
Is Sky Watcher a good brand?

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #490377 by astrodave
Like everything else in life there is a need to know a budget. If you have unlimited budget I have a $25k mobile observatory with everything already to go. Top of the line gear and mobile. 

If not There are trackers for $300ish that work well at under 300mm. 

Additionally one of the major issues is weight the mount can carry. For some of us its the amount of weight we can carry. My main astro mounts can carry 250 lbs but they weigh in at 120 lbs so they are a pain to lug about hence my observatories.

For a DLSR setup a Star Adventurer or an Astrotrac are pretty easy to use and track well up to about 15lbs. I'd recommend either of those to someone wanting to "dabble".

Just my $.02

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490385 by Ryan Obryan
Hey Dave, just to clarify, you are talking about this one from Sky-Watcher:  www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home...%2C&is=REG&A=details

right? 

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490521 by Superman
I'm just getting started myself.  My 2 best friends have been into astro photography for a few years.  So it's tough not to be reminded I need to get gear.  

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490640 by Eliffman

astrodave wrote: Like everything else in life there is a need to know a budget. If you have unlimited budget I have a $25k mobile observatory with everything already to go. Top of the line gear and mobile. 

If not There are trackers for $300ish that work well at under 300mm. 

Additionally one of the major issues is weight the mount can care. For some of us its the amount of weight we can care. My main astro mounts can carry 250 lbs but they weigh in at 120 lbs so they are a pain to lug about hence my observatories.

For a DLSR setup a Star Adventurer or an Astrotrac are pretty easy to use and track well up to about 15lbs. I'd recommend either of those to someone wanting to "dabble".

Just my $.02

That mobile observatory sounds so cool, is that something you tow?

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490666 by Wyrick Photography
There's a lot gear and a lot of set up.  Check out here - 

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490674 by effron
My advice (Dave might agree) attend a star party, visit a local astronomy club etc, prior to investing in scopes and mounts and the like. Also, go out and shoot some star trails, Milky Way landscapes or night time lapse and see if its for you. You can spend a lot of cash on deep space object (astrophotography)......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490703 by ShutterPal
:agree:  plus in some of the meetings, telescope manufactures have demo gear for you to try out.   

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490710 by EOS_Fan
Crappy part where I'm at is the light pollution.  Makes star gazing tough.  :( 

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490717 by Ian Stone
Try living in NYC, I need to drive a good couple hours in any direction if I have any hope of escaping light pollution!  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490785 by effron

Ian Stone wrote: Try living in NYC, I need to drive a good couple hours in any direction if I have any hope of escaping light pollution!  

It could be worse. In the mid Adirondacks there are a couple places that are nine of ten on the dark sky map....ALL cities suck, but when the grid goes down many night photographers will be thrilled....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024