Astrophotography set up

7 years 8 months ago #490807 by Alex
Effron, where are you from?

BTW you are so right about the Adirondacks.   I grew up in upstate NY, there you can find some super dark skys!  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490812 by effron
I'm from Los Angeles (grew up in Long Beach) now live in SW New Hampshire. I miss much about the west. Hot tip on night photography for people out there, the Owens river valley, south of Bishop....I haven't been there since I went digital.....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490825 by Alex

effron wrote: I'm from Los Angeles (grew up in Long Beach) now live in SW New Hampshire. I miss much about the west. Hot tip on night photography for people out there, the Owens river valley, south of Bishop....I haven't been there since I went digital.....:(

No kidding!  Do you get out here much?  Heck if you do... hit me up, let's do lunch or Starbucks!  

New Hampshire... are you out in the country?  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490834 by Adam Nagle
No going around light pollution.  Well there is, jump into your car or truck and just drive till you see no more light!  ha ha ha

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490840 by astrodave
Thats the one. Does a nice job of tracking for the money.

Ryan Obryan wrote: Hey Dave, just to clarify, you are talking about this one from Sky-Watcher:  www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home...%2C&is=REG&A=details

right? 

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #490841 by astrodave
No it actually looks like this. This was a test shot in March to see how my new imaging system would work this summer. That's the Astrovan in the foreground. It can be driven virtually anywhere but only up to 50mph.

Eliffman wrote:

astrodave wrote: Like everything else in life there is a need to know a budget. If you have unlimited budget I have a $25k mobile observatory with everything already to go. Top of the line gear and mobile. 

If not There are trackers for $300ish that work well at under 300mm. 

Additionally one of the major issues is weight the mount can care. For some of us its the amount of weight we can care. My main astro mounts can carry 250 lbs but they weigh in at 120 lbs so they are a pain to lug about hence my observatories.

For a DLSR setup a Star Adventurer or an Astrotrac are pretty easy to use and track well up to about 15lbs. I'd recommend either of those to someone wanting to "dabble".

Just my $.02

That mobile observatory sounds so cool, is that something you tow?

Photo Comments
Attachments:
7 years 8 months ago #490856 by effron

Alex wrote:

effron wrote: I'm from Los Angeles (grew up in Long Beach) now live in SW New Hampshire. I miss much about the west. Hot tip on night photography for people out there, the Owens river valley, south of Bishop....I haven't been there since I went digital.....:(

No kidding!  Do you get out here much?  Heck if you do... hit me up, let's do lunch or Starbucks!  

Kind of, but not far enough. A hundred miles to Boston, 240 to NY, and twelve to Keene , NH...(pop, 22,000). When I go west now, its to Seattle area, where my oldest son lives. Next trip we plan on heading to the area south of Mono lake. I miss the entire area from Bodie, Mono lake to the high Sierras....(I'm starting to tear up). I still have friends in SoCal so a trip is possible. I'd bump a line if coming....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490890 by Alex

effron wrote:

Alex wrote:

Kind of, but not far enough. A hundred miles to Boston, 240 to NY, and twelve to Keene , NH...(pop, 22,000). When I go west now, its to Seattle area, where my oldest son lives. Next trip we plan on heading to the area south of Mono lake. I miss the entire area from Bodie, Mono lake to the high Sierras....(I'm starting to tear up). I still have friends in SoCal so a trip is possible. I'd bump a line if coming....;)

It's beautiful country up there.  Plenty of old New England charm.  You might know, I grew up in upstate NY in small town called Argyle (Population 3,782!)  .  How many kids do you have?  

Seattle?  Great breweries up there.  Do you get into seafood much?  

My door is always open friend... I'll expect that call one day!  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490891 by Alex

astrodave wrote: No it actually looks like this. This was a test shot in March to see how my new imaging system would work this summer. That's the Astrovan in the foreground. It can be driven virtually anywhere but only up to 50mph.

Eliffman wrote:

astrodave wrote: Like everything else in life there is a need to know a budget. If you have unlimited budget I have a $25k mobile observatory with everything already to go. Top of the line gear and mobile. 

Additionally one of the major issues is weight the mount can care. For some of us its the amount of weight we can care. My main astro mounts can carry 250 lbs but they weigh in at 120 lbs so they are a pain to lug about hence my observatories.

For a DLSR setup a Star Adventurer or an Astrotrac are pretty easy to use and track well up to about 15lbs. I'd recommend either of those to someone wanting to "dabble".

Just my $.02

Astrovan?  No no Dave... that is the Command Station 3.0!  ha ha ha Seriously that rig is cool as heck!  What does the inside look like?  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490938 by effron
Dave said "dabble" in reference to astrophotography. That was my giggle producer of the day!...
NICE RIG!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #490945 by effron

Alex wrote:

effron wrote:

Alex wrote:

It's beautiful country up there.  Plenty of old New England charm.  You might know, I grew up in upstate NY in small town called Argyle (Population 3,782!)  .  How many kids do you have?  

Seattle?  Great breweries up there.  Do you get into seafood much?  

My door is always open friend... I'll expect that call one day!  

Argyle, a little over a par five from the Adirondacks! I have two grown sons, my oldest is the photographer and lives in Seattle, (works out of Boston). When I visit we head out, Olympic peninsula, or Rainier area, next time we're going eastern Oregon via 395 south if weather allows. 
My wife and I drive over to Maine occasionally for seafood dinner.....:)
If I win powerball as expected, I'll be driving my new Suburban west...
DO expect a call!!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #490960 by Ontherocks

astrodave wrote: No it actually looks like this. This was a test shot in March to see how my new imaging system would work this summer. That's the Astrovan in the foreground. It can be driven virtually anywhere but only up to 50mph.

Eliffman wrote:

Just my $.02

Ok, this is killer shot.  Now that light looks like something out of the movie "Thor" where Thor is getting 'shot' to Earth!  Really, what is that?

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #491010 by James F
Was that a food truck that you converted to the astrovan?  Does the top spin around? 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #491055 by astrodave

James F wrote: Was that a food truck that you converted to the astrovan?  Does the top spin around? 

Yes it has a dome that rotates with the telescope. You can see the other observatory to the background on the left. I think it used to be a Laundry delivery truck at one point. 

To Alex it looks pretty cool. Lots of blinky things and wires. I don't think I have an inside view. Here's a timelapse i did in the other observatory if you want to see it.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #491056 by astrodave
This one is kinda fun if you like Pink Floyd and don't mind a slow melodic pace.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024