Are these legit reflection photos?

7 years 8 months ago #493470 by Soccer Mom
A few of these are very questionable.  

www.boredpanda.com/reflection-photography/

1.  wine glass
2.  Chicago 
3.  mirror self portrait 

... to name a few.  If these are legit, how were they done? 

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493502 by effron
I believe they're all legit, angles and timing...but what if they needed some "enhancement"? Still some nice photography, and I like what we can do with digital myself....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493508 by Denise Lattimer
I'm with you - I think some of them involved some post-processing trickery. But like Effron said, I don't see the big deal if they weren't done "for real." Still takes crazy skills!

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493513 by EOS_Fan
OK, I'm calling no way on the wine glass.  I've tried this many times and you can never get (or at least I've not been able too) such a vivid reflection.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493541 by icepics
I think they are mostly legit reflections but I agree, some look heavily edited.

The wine glass I think is acting as a camera obscura. I've never tried it so just went and got a glass of water (where's some white wine when I need it?) and just looking at it without a camera I got a small reflection from across the street, but not upside down. Look it up and see if anything comes up about how to do it. I forget if those had one mirror? I know those predated cameras which have mirrors to right the image for viewing. Have you ever used an old camera (a twin lens) where you're looking at the image upside down? I have, takes some getting used to but is probably the same general idea.

I can't think of the photographer's name who did this using an entire room in NYC and got an upside down reflection from across the street. I think the room was darkened maybe? with the curtain open a slit to let in the image.

I wondered about the 'self portrait' but then I think I got it. There are two different women - the hands are different (nail polish and impossible angle of the right hand in relation to the left). There's someone to the left holding the broken mirror so it's facing the camera, and someone else behind the mirror facing to one side so she's in profile and you see part of her head and one hand. I bet the eyes are of the photographer - or now that I look, and see a man's name as the credit, another woman behind the camera - looking into the mirror. I think the camera must have been set on a tripod lower than eye level, the shot focused and framed so the eyes were above the lens? Might have to play with adjusting the angle and perspective. Probably took four people to take this picture! lol

I've done puddle shots, you just shoot the reflection in a puddle that's in the middle of the sidewalk, and move around til you get it at the angle you want. Those are kind of cool to do after a rain if you can find a nice puddle in the right place.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493549 by Ruby Grace
now that was a good click!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #493666 by cabbot
Great click. Those photos are definitely amazing. Sure, I think some are processed, but as the discussion in the other feed about photography rules is going, is it a big deal if they aren't legit? Maybe better labeling and saying "composite image" or something like that would clear all this up.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #493767 by rogdel
I agree that some of these seem more than a little fishy to me...I can't believe the one with the flowers reflected in water drops. However, that doesn't necessarily make them any more or less impressive or artistic.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #493776 by bojojo
Icepics -

The artist that uses camera obscuras that you're thinking of is Abe Morell! His work is amazing.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #493846 by Carry
+1 some have been heavily edited! 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #493848 by icepics
That's who it is, thank you! I meant to look it up and never got back to it.

I think the water droplets are supposedly done using a macro lens but I don't do macro much less water droplets so never tried it.

Many of these are done using techniques that are legit, but many seem heavily processed.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #493861 by Carry
Like the wine glass, that reflection may be a composite put into the glass from some heavy post work.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #493875 by Shadowfixer1

Carry wrote: Like the wine glass, that reflection may be a composite put into the glass from some heavy post work.  

Don't think so. I don't think there is a composite in the bunch.
7 years 7 months ago #493955 by Sawyer
Jury is out to lunch with me. If there are NO composites, then they did a great job out of camera!

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #495378 by Stic
Only one I've ever shot in a similar vein...

img\def
Upon reflection by Flickr Sucks , on Flickr

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024