How did you get your start as a photographer?

7 years 7 months ago #493901 by Neillien
Out of curiosity, when did you first pick up a camera? What got you hooked to photography and where has it led you over the years? I always really enjoy hearing about the different circumstances and situations that lead people to their cameras, and I bet that a lot of you have really interesting stories from the folks here at PT.

My father, who was an amateur photographer himself, gave me one of his used cameras for my 12th birthday. That summer we went on a family vacation near the Grand Tetons; I've hardly put down my camera since.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: roberthh
7 years 7 months ago #493919 by effron
Always dabbled, as a kid (punk) I had the Brownie but at the shore one day, I saw a "tourist" walk off and leave a bag sitting on the walk. I hoofed it to catch him before he got on a bus/van, he offered me money which I refused. The guy opened the bag and handed me a 35mm Yashica, said it will last longer then the money he offered. That was it, a couple years later bought myself a Nikon Nikkormat ftn because it was a single lens reflex. (around 1970?) I still own that camera, and it works perfectly...doesn't look too new though.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #493970 by joirv
i've been taking photographs for 45 years now... I hardly remember how i got started. seems like it's always been a part of me after all of these years

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494065 by Gus
Oddly enough my story is similar to yours! I got a camera from my dad when I was 13 (a little 35mm Canon SLR) just in time for a trip to the States. The Tetons were one of the first things I photographed and I fell in love. Been dabbling in it ever since.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494066 by ShutterPal
Family and a few friends were serious about photography. 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494097 by Chris Yates
I came across it by mistake. Spent many years as a painter, got a job teaching art at a high school. When the teacher that taught photography left for maternity leave, I was forced to build upon my rudimentary skills. Fell in love with the darkroom and haven't left since.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494161 by SuzyM
I got started when I got an iPod for Christmas one year. I took photos of my friends, my dog, sunsets...all were terrible, of course :)

7 years 7 months ago #494287 by srubio77
I spent my early twenties living in New York City and got myself a camera just to record candid moments with my friends and take some pictures of the big city to send home - I never had plans to take up photography. But once I started looking around at all the extraordinary things that I'd see just walking through my neighborhood, I couldn't help but begin bringing my camera everywhere I went.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494301 by tobythephotoguy
My older brother took up photography as a hobby sometime in high school. I am 5 years younger and always wanted to be exactly like him, so I took it up too. When I got to college, I snagged a part time job photographing sporting events around the university and realized that it's what I wanted to do. It hasn't always been an easy road, but I don't regret it.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494401 by Rob Conley
My grandfather was into photography, who then got my father into it at a young age.  

So it was around me when growing up.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494412 by msmith55
My mother was a photographer. Gave me my first camera when I was 7 years old way back when. Haven't stopped since!

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494434 by rogdel
Got my first SLR years ago and kept it as a hobby for years...finally gained the confidence in my images to pursue it as career. Quit my desk top and haven't looked back since then

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494467 by Joves
My grandfather noticed that I took an interest in it, and gave me one of his 120 cameras. You had to focus, and could set the aperture, but the shutter was one speed. That was when I was nine, ever since then I have been ruined.

7 years 7 months ago #494488 by Zach Mosher
I've always had interest in photography.  After college I started taking more photos and then it happened, I was hooked.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494725 by Lavender Photo
Always enjoyed taking pictures. In my teens and twenties I worked jobs that I hated as a receptionist and in retail. Finally, I realized that I could make a living doing something that I loved - haven't looked back since :)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024