How did you get your start as a photographer?

7 years 7 months ago #494778 by Overread
Family were photographers, so it kind of fell on my lap at an early age

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494825 by Foxy Girl
My parents were always into photography.  When I was younger my father gave me my first camera, it was a hand me down, but it was fun for me.  And it stuck. 

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #494887 by photonutt
Well ever since I was about 15-16 I've had a passing interest in photography I joined the Military at 19 and received a Canon AE1 35mm from my father and got a little more involved in but I was more focused on art(ink and acrylics, I then suffered a brain hemorrhage at the age of 24 so needed an artistic outlet so I just naturally levitated into the medium of photography and have been addicted ever since. I have developed quite a passion for the hobby and even had a couple shows and paid gigs

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #494897 by Glenn Gee
Got an iphone for my birthday and that started it all for me. Had instagram on it and it was all over!

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #494929 by Kenya See
I picked up a camera! :rofl:

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #494968 by Tyler Otis
I took photography in high school. The emphasis was still on film at that point. I forget the camera I had, but it was a blast learning how to use it. Been into photography ever since.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495173 by albinpix
Had a girlfriend that shot weddings and her assistant fell through on her just before a big gig. I got roped into taking his place. We broke up, but I've been shooting for years now.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495177 by Dan-Bartlett
I borrowed my dad's Minolta rangefinder and started taking candids of all the girls!  When I graduated they gave me a Pentax K1000.  In college I worked as a second shooter and darkroom tech (mostly black and white).  Our studio's basement had a B&W processing lab from the 40's and 50's, which we got running again and processed a few shots for the fun of it.  I had a great time, and we shot everything that year: portraits, rodeo's, architecture, and magazine covers for a mountain man magazine.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495274 by lemcclair
I'm a new student to photography. My daughter gave me a camera as a gift last Christmas, but I've been snapping ever since. Never too old to try something new

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495306 by Tammy B
Another former painter here. I first got a camera to record subjects for future paintings. I still paint, but as the years have gone by I've found myself becoming more and more attached to the photos on their own.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495307 by mariedespirito
So interesting to hear everyone's stories!  I didn't get really interested in photography until after I retired.  I read everything I can find to help me understand how to get better at it.  I just love the idea of capturing something and being able to keep it forever.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495319 by Addicted2Photos
Father was 2nd generation photographer, so this was with me at young age

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495880 by bojojo
I always had an aptitude for art growing up and spent a lot of time crafting, doodling, etc. When I went to school to study art further, I found that there was a very short but rich history behind photography. I think the medium often attracts individuals that are willing to break boundaries and innovate, which I find both fascinating and exciting. I'm not much of a photographer myself, but I've always loved discussing photography and the ideas behind it.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495897 by Neillien
Wow, you guys did not disappoint! Reading all of your stories has been a pleasure, thanks to everyone that's shared!

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #496210 by Stic
Around the age of 15, I began going to a lot of car shows with friends, and wanted to 'snap' some 'pics' so brought a crappy 110 film camera. As with a lot of guys, as me and my friends were into cars, we also read a lot of car mags.

Step forward a decade and I brought a Pentax P30T which was MUCH better at capturing cars at shows (and the odd trip to the drag strip where I first got to practice my panning) and my bedroom walls were filled up with large prints of the cars I shot.

In my late 20's, I was doing a lot with computers and, as I earned a decent wage, I brought an amazing (at the time) 2.1MP Sony Cybershot and never went back to film.

Maybe 3-4 years later, I spent quite a lot of money on a Fujifilm Finepix S2Pro (6MP extrapolated to 12MP) and began submitting Car show and event photos to a couple of magazines. When I was asked to shoot a local feature car for them, I asked if they wanted me to write the article; they asked if I thought I could and I said you be the judge.

After that, I was producing event coverage, feature car shoots and writing the articles as well.

I also moved to Canon (40D) and a rather expensive 100-400L to shoot the emerging drift scene and became the D1NZ photographer for a year or so.

I was also working days at the local paper, in prepress and got trained in the full Adobe Suite (CS3 at the time).

Moved to a 7D and when the editor of one mags I had been working for left, I was offered the job...and took it.

I did this for a while but, as it was a privately funded mag, and our ad sales guy screwed us over, it shut down about 8 months later.

Got a short contract with a heavy transport magazine publisher, and then back to the paper (freelance) writing articles.

Moved to a 7DII recently, but it's mostly just back to a hobby now...

Lot of fun along the way though...

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024