What do you think of this idea?

7 years 7 months ago #494055 by ShutterPal
So, I was thinking about picking up 20 of those Polaroid Cube cameras and offering them as an rental item for my wedding jobs.  I've had many of my clients wanting either disposable cameras or "cheap" cameras they can have on each of the tables for the guest to use and take photos with. 

So, what I'm thinking here is offer these sort of cameras as rental items.  You can pick up one  for something like $99 bucks.  If I charge a $15 rental charge for each one.  It's only 6.5 weddings before I'm on the green and profit city. 

The contract will cover against theft and damage.  So if they guest take the camera, the bride and groom are liable to cover the cost.   

What do you think?  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #494079 by icepics
I think some Cubes might go home with some guests?? I don't know, cardboard disposables were one thing, but $2000 worth of cameras? Depends I guess how much you want to spend insuring them and if it's worth the cost, I'd just think twice about what I'd leave in the hands of celebrating, partying, having fun and drinking, potentially careless or not thinking guests.

Maybe if you can come up with a way to maintain control of where they go and where they end up - how you'd make them available at a reception, how you'd arrange for people to drop them off before they leave, etc. Maybe start rounding them up long before it gets too late and people will start leaving.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494127 by Vahrenkamp
Make sure your contract is crystal clear about what happens when people accidentally or intentionally keep one of these in their pockets.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494139 by effron
I think its a bad idea, just another headache....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494164 by Miss Polly
In theory, it's a great idea.  However I'm near certain you'll have a hard time with keeping people from running off with these.  Then that will cause friction with the clients.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494193 by Alex
That's a tough one.  I like the idea, however as already mentioned would be concerned about those cameras getting legs and walking off.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494206 by Danny Carson
Yeah, bad idea.  That is a head ache just waiting to happen.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494295 by Sarah Ramirez
Love the idea, don't love all the headaches that are bound to occur as a result. I suppose you could give it a whirl and see how it goes!

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494307 by Richard Taylor
:blink:  um no

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494314 by PhotoViking
I think it's a great idea. And believe it or not: There are more honest, decent people out there than thieves. I think your biggest risk is somebody emptying their drinks onto your cameras - or sitting on them........
If possible I would get the cameras in a unusual color, like red or yellow, and mark them clearly.

I like it - good luck! :thumbsup:

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #494418 by Rob Conley

effron wrote: I think its a bad idea, just another headache....

+1  yeah, not a good idea.  For many of the reasons already stated.  I believe the good will outweigh the bad.  However just to much risk IMO. 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494565 by phaller
As a mother of the bride, I absolutely love the idea! But as others have said, from a business standpoint I think you'll be chasing those things all over the place.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494724 by Lavender Photo
Hm, I'm torn on this topic. As everyone said, it could potentially be a headache. But on the other hand, Polaroids are an extremely popular trend right now and I could see the cameras quickly paying for themselves. Maybe if there was a separate deposit to pay on the cubes, it might deter potential theft?

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494836 by ThatNikonGuy
Eh I'd pass on this one

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024