Tricky model release question when dealing with tribes?

7 years 7 months ago #494167 by Moossmann
I'm heading over to Africa in October for a 2 week photography excursion.  Which BTW I can't wait!  

My question is regarding model release forms.  When photographing indigenous people, do you need a model release form?  

What if the photo ends up in a magazine?  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494195 by Robert Chen
I would think regardless where they are located, you need a release document. 

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494293 by effron
Personally, I'd click away without any regard to any releases. Now, if a famous face stumbled in, I'd probably think about a form....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494296 by Sarah Ramirez
In the past I've followed the "what's the use?" rule of thumb. If you'll be making money off the image, get a model release. If not, don't worry about it so long as you're taking the photo in a manner that is culturally respectful. Maybe have a look at the article below. I found it helpful.

www.bettertravelphotos.com/blog/item/the...d-street-photography

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494326 by Soccer Mom
You would need it

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494419 by msmith55
I'd err on the side of caution and have releases regardless of the situation. Better to be prepared than to get sued, yes?

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494441 by icepics
It depends on how you'll be using the photos. For retail or commercial use you'd need releases signed. Usually the guideline is from everyone who's recognizable (which could be specific clothing sometimes as well as faces).  For editorial use (magazines/newspapers) a release is not usually needed but might be requested by a media outlet especially from a photographer they haven't worked with before. See http://asmp.org .

It depends on what you're photographing and where. If it's a an event or area like a park that's open to the public you should be fine taking photos for personal use. I don't know where you might be taking photos, if it's where they live I'd probably treat it similar to going to someone's home. I agree about being respectful.

And if this is a tour group of some sort, look at their website. See if there's a visitor center? or something similar where you're going to see what it says is allowed or appropriate there.  

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494463 by Joves
No you do not need a MRF if it ends up in a magazine. That would be considered as journalistic use. Now if you wanted to advertise for something commercial, then that is entirely different. Most of the tours there are what are called eco-tours, and many of the tribes merely act as if they still live the way they have for eons.

7 years 7 months ago #494563 by Don Granger
I would suspect you would need it.  Better to be safe. 

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495168 by albinpix
A tough one. I think in a situation like this, it's more important that you have the consent and permission to photograph the tribes - normally I'd err on the side of caution as well, but I'm not so sure that handing a contract in a foreign language to a stranger in an isolated area would really do anybody much good.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495178 by Eric A

effron wrote: Personally, I'd click away without any regard to any releases. Now, if a famous face stumbled in, I'd probably think about a form....

I must say, I agree with your approach  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024