Have you had a client flake on you for a scheduled photo shoot?

7 years 7 months ago #494328 by Vahrenkamp
A client of mine who has paid for a portrait session on the beach has flaked on me for the 2nd time.  The first time she claimed she double booked her schedule.  Today she just said, "I'm sorry, I just forgot.  Let's reschedule for next week".  

Ok, I'm not sure how to approach this.  Both times, I drove to location and waiting.  AND waited.  Both times, I called her to see what was going on.  Both times I ended up leaving a message and not getting a call back till nearly 2 hours after scheduled meeting.

Now I only stuck around till for about 30 minutes each time.  She has fully paid for the shoot.  I would like to see how others might deal with this?  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494391 by effron
If it was me, I'd reschedule and then hang her up.
I have no patience for that stuff....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494415 by msmith55
I suppose that depends on how your contract is worded. Is there language about you being stood up and what the resulting action will be?

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494438 by icepics
Oh 30 min. max. Photographers that I know who do this, have it in the contract. Allow 15-30 minutes wait. Client usually loses the deposit. Etc., etc. 

Figure out your procedures and policies and make it available to clients so you can refer them back to the info. on your site (such as, remember where it says____? etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494442 by icepics
And I've worked with people and kids and families for years and years and you never know what you might be dealing with. Try to cover all bases the best you can with your procedures and guidelines for clients (and still somebody might come up with a new one! lol but be as prepared as you can for cancellations etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494557 by Don Granger
What does your contract state for no shows?  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494627 by Vahrenkamp
My contract states that I get to keep the deposit.  However this person paid 100% up front.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #494972 by Tyler Otis

icepics wrote: Oh 30 min. max. Photographers that I know who do this, have it in the contract. Allow 15-30 minutes wait. Client usually loses the deposit. Etc., etc. 

Figure out your procedures and policies and make it available to clients so you can refer them back to the info. on your site (such as, remember where it says____? etc.).

Seems like a good way to approach it.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495043 by Ontherocks
After the 2nd time, I would kick them to the curb and kept the deposit.  Bad client IMO. 

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495100 by Tim Dordeck
What was the reason she gave you for missing the meeting the 2nd time? 

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495172 by albinpix
I would follow up to see exactly why the client flaked - if you'd still like to work with them, it very possible that you could reschedule again. Or if you'd prefer, let them go. Either way, I wouldn't return the deposit. I've never been in that situation myself, but I think the ball is in your court.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495194 by Conner
Nope, I wouldn't tolerate that at all.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495275 by cabbot
Hey, at least you got paid upfront. Not that that excuses your client from being a flake...

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024