Shooting film for a wedding job?

7 years 7 months ago #494821 by Foxy Girl
So a client hit me up with something today I'm not sure about.  They want their entire wedding shot on a film camera. I don't own a film camera and wondering if there are any legit digital to film software, that looks real?

Thank you so much!

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #494824 by effron
I shot many weddings back in the day...with film, and I wouldn't go back. Just the time and cost to process and print is ridiculous. You don't have to take every job that comes your way, do you? If you do decide to go for it, Adorama or B&H (maybe both) had new F100's a while back, and that is a dream of a film body.....
www.chasejarvis.com/blog/four-great-ways...he-digital-darkroom/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494896 by Sandy Smith Photos
You can find film cameras on Craigslist pretty cheap too.  Might be a fun option to explore.   

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494900 by Glenn Gee

effron wrote: I shot many weddings back in the day...with film, and I wouldn't go back. Just the time and cost to process and print is ridiculous. You don't have to take every job that comes your way, do you? If you do decide to go for it, Adorama or B&H (maybe both) had new F100's a while back, and that is a dream of a film body.....
www.chasejarvis.com/blog/four-great-ways...he-digital-darkroom/

Can't imagine how difficult it was to do a wedding with film. I'm with Effron on this one...if you don't have to take the gig, I wouldn't take it. 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #495009 by John Landolfi
Give them a price estimate based on the cost of having a lab do the processing and printing (I assume you don't have a darkroom), including a middleman fee for finding and dealing with the lab, and paying yourself well for the shoot. If they agree, effron's suggestion of an F100 is great, or you can probably find a used F4s at B&H or KEH, which will make the job easier (a great camera).

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #495025 by Shadowfixer1
If you have never shot film in this situation before, walk away.
7 years 7 months ago #495141 by rogdel
I wouldn't try to pass digital shots off as film for a paid assignment. I have to chime in and agree with the other commenters on this thread - if you haven't shot a wedding in film before, just walk away. But at the very least, send an estimate taking into consideration the price of film developing, and scanning as well as everything that else that goes into a wedding gig.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #495150 by msmith55

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you have never shot film in this situation before, walk away.

I agree 100 million percent.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #495293 by cabbot
I'd be scared to death to shoot a wedding with film. Actually, I'd be scared to death to shoot a wedding with digital too :)

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #495321 by Addicted2Photos
That sounds like such a fun project!  Did you find a camera yet? 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #495493 by Chris Yates
As long as the couple is willing front the price of film on top of whatever you may charge for a wedding, and you feel confident in your abilities as a photographer, I say that it might be worth considering. Then again, I'm a big proponent of film, so I may be biased. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024