Freelensing vs Lensbaby?

7 years 7 months ago #496696 by KenMan
The process of holding a lens in front of your camera while not attached apparently is called 'freelensing'.  Now isn't this the same effect you would get with a Lensbaby?  

I'm not excited about testing this out, however just curious.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496701 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496739 by Steve Zahra
So why would you do that and expose your cameras sensor to all that dust?  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496754 by Ian Stone
I'll pass on both.  Tried Lensbaby back in the day and it was fun for about a month.  But ended up not touching the lens again.  And Freelensing?  Not a chance.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496773 by Screamin Scott
No to both.... Fads are all they are...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496808 by Kenta
I had a Lensbaby, it was fun for a few weeks.  I let a friend borrow it, seeing this thread reminds me that she never gave it back!

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496840 by albinpix
In theory, freelensing is supposed to produce the same effect that a lensbaby would. The advantage to freelensing is that it's less money – you don't have to invest in any new glass. The risk you take is any potential dust or contaminants to your sensor. I've never tried either technique, though. Not really my style.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496858 by icepics
I don't think the effects are quite the same but similar. I have a couple of Lensbabies, an Original and a 2.0. Those are different than the ones made now and focus manually, and it depends on how much you angle it what effect you get. To me the examples in the article look more like a narrow field of depth with a large area that's out of focus. It's hard to describe but the Lensbaby seems to have more of a distortion to the out of focus part of the image. It's a matter of figuring out how it can work in an interesting way.

To me they're specialty lenses which I don't use a lot, but bought them used so didn't exactly spend a fortune either. I find it fun to experiment with them, it's like having tiny bellows on front of the camera.

I don't think I'd do freelensing with my digital camera; I've never tried it with any film cameras.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496869 by Peter Nunez
That's a good way to keep a close relationship with Nikon support!  :rofl:

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496887 by KENT MELTON
:agree:   have you seen where they toss the camera and lens in the air?  ha ha ha

Seriously who things of these things?   

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #497270 by tobythephotoguy
I'm nowhere near brave enough to try this. Just thinking about potential damage makes me shudder.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #497311 by Joves

Screamin Scott wrote: No to both.... Fads are all they are...

:agree:
Yep that is all they were much like selective coloring, tilting, and over processed HDR. Oh! Wait! People still do that unfortunately. They are just fads that keep on giving like some incurable disease.
The only lens I have that would be considered a fad lens would be the fisheye. But then there never has been a long lasting fad with them.

7 years 6 months ago #497895 by Neillien
Right, the idea behind it is that it's inexpensive alternative to a Lensbaby. Kind of seems like an unnecessary risk, but a neat effect.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498643 by Monster
Freelensing is a good way to damage your cameras sensor.  Why bother for something that is so novelty?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024