Protecting your images with copypants?

7 years 6 months ago #498477 by Jessa Layton
These guys are charging $299.  I want to know does it work?  Or if there are lesser priced options?  My friend tried one of these last year.  Not this company, however it didn't work.  We tested it and it couldn't find an image that I posted that was owned by my friend.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498485 by ShutterPal
Sorry never heard of them.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498489 by Tim Dordeck
Jury out to lunch.  Didn't know there was companies that did this.  So can't comment on anything less.  Sorry no help.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498512 by Kenya See
Funny name when you think about it 

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498546 by effron
I protect my own for free. Discretion when posting (small files), Tin Eye, etc......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
7 years 6 months ago #498547 by Karen Comella
Am I missing something, how does it work?  I mean, do you need to tell it to scan the internet every day for a certain image?

Sorry I like the idea, but I just don't understand.  :( 

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498562 by Moossmann
:huh:   

Can't say I have

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498580 by Danny Carson
Clever name, but no, experience with them.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498614 by icepics
You've got to be kidding - $299??

Well right off the bat the company is NOT in the US so I don't know how that affects registrations for copyright in the US. At least the address given is in Canada, but I haven't found a name of anyone, so who knows who's doing the site. So who's pocketing the 300 bucks (and is that in US or Cdn dollars?)?

I just posted in another thread that I think it's getting easier for anybody to put together a fancy schmancy looking website that offers what they claim to be some fabulous service. But then provide little actual info. about who they are.

Look at the Terms, the Privacy policy, and read the so called fine print and make sure what you'd be getting into. I don't know, maybe they're able to track photos and get some people some payment for usage, but it doesn't cost you anything to do a takedown request or get payment yourself. People could prevent some of this by thinking about where they're posting their photos, and why, and by getting better informed about copyright, etc.

Took a quick glance and it says something about they are sole owners of information collected on the site... not sure what that means but I would not use a site that says they own any of my photos or info. I post there.  

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498622 by icepics
It also says you can request they do a takedown notice for you, but to 'only send takedown notices for work that belongs to you otherwise you can be legally liable' - not sure what that involves.

Then it says to 'get paid by publishers using your work online' but I don't know if that means publishers of magazines, newspapers, etc. or anyone that posts or 'publishes' your photo somewhere. So if it means actual publishers I'd wonder if they'd find any violations for you to ever get a payment (publications that are legit probably are not stealing photos). It's not clear to me if the payment goes to Copypants because according to their terms, do they now 'own' your photos?? so basically are sublicensing users' photos and giving you a licensing payment that is paid to them first?? I don't know...

Or you can just request 'credit' for any violations they discover... c'mon photographers don't make money working for credit. 

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024