Company used my photo with out my permission

7 years 6 months ago #498712 by Ryan711
A small retailer here where I lived has used one of my photos in an online ad on their  Facebook page.  I called them up and told them they didn't ask for my permission nor offer to pay me for the image.  

"This must have been an accident" and they took the photo down.  I can see before it had been pulled that it had 3477 shares and a ton of likes.  So they have benefited from my image.  

Should I send an invoice to them and if so, how much should I ask?  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498740 by Colorado Mike
Did you get a screenshot of the image before they pulled it?

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498751 by icepics
For future reference it sounds like you did a verbal takedown notice, but it's probably better to learn how to issue a written DMCA takedown notice.

I did an online seminar thru ASMP but don't remember offhand if there were suggestions on if/how to follow up to request payment. I know that it apparently doesn't seem worth court costs, lawyer fees, etc. to sue a small company in particular.

I'm not sure how you'd determine usage based on number of shares/likes. Usually usage would be for a certain amount of time such as a year's usage on a company's website, in brochures, etc.

I'd think too about where you're putting photos online and look at Terms on the site to make sure you didn't agree to allowing the site or third parties etc. to use your photos. Consider watermarking to try to protect your photos and discourage unauthorized usage (might make it harder at least). You might need to think about being more selective in posting photos. Not that what the company did was right, but it seems necessary to protect your work online as much as possible.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498754 by MM Images
tough call, I would look to see what others are licensing similar photos for.  And charge 5x for it.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498844 by Zeberk
So wait, if the company took the image down and let's say you don't have a screen shot.  Can you still have grounds to collect?  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498870 by Screamin Scott
If the photo wasn't egistered with the Copyright office, it will be hard to get financial compensation if they fight it.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498878 by PhotoViking
I'd think (at least) twice before launching a "war": The only winners in a war are those delivering weapons and ammunition, all others loose......

Why not try to turn it into something positive:
Talk to them again: "You used my photo - and profited from it. As a compensation you could hire me for a regular shooting; Yo DO know how good my photos are..."

Just a thought........;)

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498911 by Stic

PhotoViking wrote: I'd think (at least) twice before launching a "war": The only winners in a war are those delivering weapons and ammunition, all others loose......

Why not try to turn it into something positive:
Talk to them again: "You used my photo - and profited from it. As a compensation you could hire me for a regular shooting; Yo DO know how good my photos are..."

Just a thought........;)

Not a bad idea...

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498967 by ThatNikonGuy
I think the idea is good, if they don't move forward on this, then plan B. 

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #498976 by Vahrenkamp
Diplomatic approach that I would say would be worth pursuing.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499046 by Martin
+1 good idea

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499094 by icepics
But to be able to do that, it would be necessary to have a portfolio of commercial work ready to show prospective clients, to know how to price commercial work, to be able to draw up contracts and license usage, etc. etc.

If it's a small company that just snagged a photo online I don't know if it's too likely they'd be looking to contract with a photographer for future work.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499111 by Neillien
I agree that finding a diplomatic and genial solution is likely a better solution than fighting this particular battle. Use it as a learning experience to protect yourself in the future and see if you can make the best of the situation rather than trying to hurt the business, which (unfortunately) likely won't result in any sort of satisfying outcome.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499137 by CanonKid
So, what happened here?  Did you contact the company?

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499331 by Crammer
I like the diplomatic approach.  So did they respond?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024