Ken Rockwell a self proclaimed know it all?

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #511704 by Joves

Tom-Dinning wrote: I find this thread somewhat amusing and remain substantially bemused by the approach here.

firstly, Ken Rockwell really isn't here to defend himself. That seems a little unfair, don't you think? I distinctly remember in the 'rules of the game' here that derogatory or indefensible comments would be considered unacceptable to the ethos of the site. Poor old Ken is being berated somewhat by those who profess to know better yet there is a diquietening silence from the authorities.

:beerbang:
Okay firstly Ken grooves on all of this attention. It strokes his ego as being the interbutz star that he is. I have no doubt that he searches Google everyday to see how many new hits he gets. He is like a politician/movie star in that any press the get is good press so long as their name is not fading into oblivion. If he wished to defend himself I have no doubt he would. He has what he wants, and that is fame. For most of us we comment on Ken for pure amusement.

Attachments:
7 years 3 months ago #511706 by effron
Defending KR....done.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511758 by Jim Photo
I heard Ken Rockwell was running for President 2020

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511774 by Tom-Dinning
Sorry guys. I was unsure of the rules of the game.
now you've cleared it up for me.

based on what I have read so far, we must be as accurate as possible with our understanding of photography but when it comes to people we can make up what we like.
saying so is good enough.

well, when it comes down to sarcasm, innuendo and gossip, I can mix it with the best. As for making up stuff, especially about people, I have no equal, although joves might give me a run for my money.

have you heard that Ken is really a black, Jewish, bisexual who terrorises old ladies and small children with his Nikon and his website is really a cover for the CIA?

neither have I but that doesn't stop me from posting it here.

so it seems!

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511841 by Carry
Sounds like Tom is Ken in disguise.  I don't know this guy and frankly don't care to.  Not because of anything that I read, because it's choice.  I don't get upset or take it personal when I read some of the stuff that I do.  Why?  Because it's not me, or a family member that someone is talking about.  However if those circumstances change, and now the words are pointed to my family or me, the rules change.  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #511866 by Tom-Dinning
Hi Carry..

are you an undercover agent for the CIA?

sorry if you are offended by my reference to your worth cause and work. I'm a strong supporter of spies and the like.

unfortunately, that's the nature of gossip and bigotry. It's hard to know who might hear it. 

I dont know Ken from a bar of soap (even if that sounds ludicrous). 
My gripe is aimed at the hypocrites who proclaim the right to throw shit at anyone in the name of self-righteousness then protect themselves under a banner of 'private' conversation or opinion.

contrary to popular belief, this is not a private site. It seems anyone can join, read the rules, and assume safety from bigotry then find such bigotry alive and well in conversations such as this.

if you choose to wait until the conversation directly affects you and say nothing in the mean time you are indirectly condoning the words spoken. That might seem a bit harsh but by walking away from it you do two things: you allow it to continue unabated, and you ignore the social justice that is required to stop such nonsense.

yet if someone is ridiculed as this person has been, no one speaks up.

which is worse? 

I would suggest neither is worse. They are equal in their effect.

perhaps it is time to get to know where you stand on important social issues that arise from this site and its conversations. 

That at might not make you a better photographer but it sure will make you a more understanding person.

cheers
tom

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511869 by Lavender Photo
Woah, let's not get too personal here guys. Maybe it's time to let this thread go before things get ugly.

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511872 by J Hemingway
Agree... the language is getting offensive.  There is a big difference between the language this thread started with to some of the last post.  You express your views with out the need to use certain language.  Just my 2 cents. 

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511878 by Tom-Dinning
I had a feeling that might get people's attention.

as soon as it gets personal people take notice. 

That at works with photography as well. 

Personal connection  to images is a definite draw card. Emotional personal connection is even stronger.

if you want people to react to your photos, add something personal, something they can connect to, even something they don't like or are even repulsed.

the value of such  photo is in the ability for the photographer to know which buttons to press in which group of people.

most stuff here, from what I have seen relies on the 'beauty' factor, pleasant images that momentarily create a feeling of niceness among the viewers.

a displeasurable feeling has its origins in the same place as pleasurable ones, yet we make every effort to dispel them from our experiences. 

Liking something becomes a necessity for appreciation.

yet there is value in experiencing those darker feelings we so wish to avoid or deny ourselves.

nor do we appreciate those who expose us to those feelings.

this conversation was stared by someone who wanted to expose his dislike for an individual based on personal opinion, not on fact.

sometimes it's difficult to demonstrate to such people how damaging that can be and how others can fall into the trap of believing such rubbish, hence carrying forward bias, prejudice and misinformation.

the implications are there but the process is seen to be harmless because we use words that are less emotive, thus camouflaging the ferocity. 
Now that words we all identify as insulting, even if they are not directed at anyone, the emotive level dramatically rises and disgust is felt by the reader, because it is seen as a personal affront.

let me suggest the the whole thread is a personal affront. Having private thoughts about someone is your own business. Displaying those thoughts becomes the business of others, whether they choose to ignore or not.

if you have private thoughts, might I suggest you keep them to yourself unless you have verifiable facts to support them.

either that or change the rules.

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511880 by Finn
Sorry pal, there is a big difference between the original banter and the racial slur that you dumped out.  

Just my 2 cents.  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511882 by Tom-Dinning
Sorry?
Pal?

you sound neither sorry nor are you my pal, Finn.

your literary and comprehension skills need sharpening as well.

then again, perhaps I am expecting too much.

i will leave each of you to yourselves and your self-indulgences. 

If if someone will kindly pull the plug on my membership I'd be grateful for the mercy. 

Cheers
tom

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #511951 by Alex
Alright friends, please no racial language.  You can hold an opinion of whom ever you desire.  You can even voice your opinion.   However lets' think about what we want to express and if/when you do decide to express what ever opinion you have.  Let's do it in a way that doesn't use a foul or racial language.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #539806 by Eric A
LOL it's funny, I read a post that some how made it on my Facebook page today that Ken Rockwell made about the new Nikon D850, and you have to stand back and wonder, what Koolaid is that man drinking?!  :rofl:

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #539871 by Tony Bisson
Yeah he's an interesting cat alright.  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #560250 by Dragonflies
"Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius"

The best of the best :rofl:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024